Barnwood Question

JoshC1501

I have never worked with barnwood, not exactly my thing.  I am curious what people pay a BF for this stuff?  

A guy I know has some 10/4 and 8/4 Ash that he took out of a barn.  It was used up high in the barn, and only has nails in the very ends, but there is always the risk of a rogue nail.  Use of a metal detector would be absolutely necessary.  Something about recycling wood for my bench is appealing, it is really beautiful wood, and obviously stable, old growth material.  At the same time, with the extra waste and potential costs of replacing planner blades due to nails, I was hoping for a better price.  

I want to buy around 200bf,  which I think would be enough to build the Split Top Roubo, and he is asking $2.00 a bf,  I can get 8/4 ash at one local hardwood dealer for $4.50 bf, and I have not shopped around.  Considering the extra waste and potential for nails, $2.00 bf seems to bit high to me.  I was hoping to get this for $1.00-$1.50BF, at that price it feels "worth it".  

I would prefer to take the approach of building the bench out available and less expensive wood.  I have a few other leads on materials, so I will continue work on this, but need some input on fair pricing for these types of materials.

I have never worked with barnwood, not exactly my thing.  I am curious what people pay a BF for this stuff?  

A guy I know has some 10/4 and 8/4 Ash that he took out of a barn.  It was used up high in the barn, and only has nails in the very ends, but there is always the risk of a rogue nail.  Use of a metal detector would be absolutely necessary.  Something about recycling wood for my bench is appealing, it is really beautiful wood, and obviously stable, old growth material.  At the same time, with the extra waste and potential costs of replacing planner blades due to nails, I was hoping for a better price.  

I want to buy around 200bf,  which I think would be enough to build the Split Top Roubo, and he is asking $2.00 a bf,  I can get 8/4 ash at one local hardwood dealer for $4.50 bf, and I have not shopped around.  Considering the extra waste and potential for nails, $2.00 bf seems to bit high to me.  I was hoping to get this for $1.00-$1.50BF, at that price it feels "worth it".  

I would prefer to take the approach of building the bench out available and less expensive wood.  I have a few other leads on materials, so I will continue work on this, but need some input on fair pricing for these types of materials.

I have access to barnwood, and cleaning and de-nailing is the hardest part! After that it's just wood.  Though pieces like this come out of it!  And it's sometimes hard on a planer.  As for prices? I couldn't tell you, I get mine free!  And that's just some old barn poplar.  I try and use a piece of old barnwood in every piece I build, just for the sake of continuity with the old and new.

post-15288-0-04604800-1415214667_thumb.j

post-15288-0-60290000-1415214688_thumb.j

post-15288-0-07978100-1415214716_thumb.j

• Like 1

That price is great if you can afford to buy more of it , do it . You won't be sorry , especially if its old growth lumber .  We get a lot of old growth heart pine here in SE PA in the rough it's not bad price wise but finished up 4/4 is around $8.75 a BF depending on width .  Like I said that old growth lumber is the best , it's definitely special project material not to be treated like common lumber .  IMO !  :D