Wicked grain oak

Tom Cancelleri

I needed some oak for a couple of reindeer orders and I grabbed a pieces of oak from my firewood pile and threw it on my bandsaw to slice it up. Ran it over my jointer and cut up blanks. After the horrible cut oak smell cleared the air I looked at the grain and was amazed at how different it was compared to any oak I've seen before.

IMAG2085.jpg

Tiger oak is not a species, just jargon for curly (or sometimes quartersawn) figure. The logs on the left are particularly nice. Be careful when sawing, firewood usually comes from branches (rather than the trunk) so there will be a lot of tension relieved when you start cutting. Expect some loud cracks and pops.

Good point. My firewood comes split into wedges, the tension is already relieved

Good point. My firewood comes split into wedges, the tension is already relieved

That's not the case, actually.  If a board comes out of a limb, there's tension in 100% of that board.  Every fiber in it will want to react when severed.  But for reindeer I wouldn't worry about it at all.  I wouldn't wanna built anything that was supposed to stay flat, though.

That's pretty oak...for oak anyway.  Not only the curl but it has some nice colors in it.

Now that's sweet..... I'd just trim the ends, put a finish on it and hang it on the wall as is!

I bought about 1500 board feet of this material in 4/4 and 60 in 8/4 each piece is just amazing. I paid a ton for it as it was labeled as premium due to the board widths but it was well well worth the price. Thanks so much for the kind words.