Bench build question

sdkidaho

I'm building a workbench along one wall of my shop and have a couple questions.

I'm going to attach it to the wall so that I won't have legs on the back, but rather a support running the full length of the bench for the top. My floor has a small slope to it, somewhere between 1-2 inches from front to back, and that's over a 40' span. For my bench, do I make the top level for the entire length, or decide on a height from the floor and keep it at that height according to the floor for the entire length?

I intend to make it 16' feet long. That's my other question. Do I buy 16' lumber, or do I buy 20' so that I have some waste and am sure on my 16' lengths?

Thanks for your help.

You absolutely keep the bench level and adjust the hight of the legs to maintain that level plane accordingly.

depentding on your structure, you could get away with shorter lengths and make sure to refinforce/stagger the joints accordingly.  Especially for the piece against the wall...you will presumably be fastening it at at least 16 inch intervals so the length of those pieces is somewhat irrelevant.

Sounds like a good place for one ginormous french cleat!

Why such a long bench? Planning to make counter-length cutting boards?

16 feet is a lot of horizontal surface. In my shop, that would mean 14' of accumulated crap and 2 feet of work space. So I just build 2' bench...

Truthfully I was intending on such a long bench because I have the room.  I really hadn't put much more thought into it than that, but seeing your response about it just accumulating crap, maybe I should rethink that size.  I had also intended to use some french cleating as well to get stuff organized.  I wouldn't mind some pegboard but I sure hate it when the hooks come out when you pull a tool off the wall, and hadn't seen anything I really like that wasn't an arm and a leg to keep the stupid hooks in place.