Looking for a clear, very durable finish for wooden jewelry

Michael Scherer

I need to find a clear, shiny finish to go on some wooden jewelry that will stand up to the stresses of everyday use. 

Ideally the finish will be clear, waterproof, hard and not sticky, and add some strength to the piece.  I have already tried using clear spray acrylic on another piece and while it gave me the look I wanted, the finish remained slightly sticky for at least half a year until I sold it, and lint and dust stuck to the surface.

Here's the piece I need to finish after I sand it.  Thank you for any advice. 

Pl5AhIf.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention is the shape of this particular piece with its interconnected loops adds a unique challenge to finishing because the loops will stick together during finishing.  A spray on application might be easiest for me.  I have no idea how I would use an epoxy or even a brush on finish.  Any tips for application would be appreciated.

I've done several wood jewelry pieces and wood guitar picks with thin CA glue. Just flood it on and use a toothpick or bamboo skewer to wipe off any drips. Wears really well and is glossy.

I can't think of any simple way to do chain links quickly, though. One at a time, don't let any runs stick 'em together. At least it dries pretty quick.

• Like 1

clear nail polish and clear lacquer (not acrylic) are the same thing. If you applied acrylic lacquer and it never dried, it was probably applied incorrectly (sorry, but it needs to offgas to dry, and it never "cures") 

Anywho, durable, inexpensive, and easy to apply. Pick 2.   2k is probably what you want, nitro isn't super durable. CA doesn't build. Poly... I just don't like poly myself, but to each their own.  You can use a preval and get a pint of 2k and some hardener, but that'd be expensive for one peice. 

Fingernail polish is easily removed from fingernails with acetone, aka fingernail polish remover. I don't know if it also removes it from wood but I would be hesitant using it on a bracelet that could encounter it and the finish be damaged by it. Plus applying it would be a PITA.

Shellac is easily re-dissolved by ethanol. Ditto on avoiding using that on jewelery unless it is top coated.

Since you like the look of the acrylic go with that. Spraying light coats of acrylic will work. It dries quickly. Recoat it after 30 minutes and less than 1.5 hours. Otherwise you have to wait 72 hours to recoat it. I like Minwax Polycrylic. Don't be concerned about covering every single link on each spraying. Suspend the chain on something, give it a light spray, emphasis on light, shake it a bit so the links don't stick together, let it hang for the 30 to 90 minutes. Denub then repeat. I would use a synthetic sanding cloth to get your irregular surface. Avoid using steel wool on your light wood when using a water borne finish or you could get streaks of rust.

• Like 2

Fingernail polish is easily removed from fingernails with acetone, aka fingernail polish remover. I don't know if it also removes it from wood but I would be hesitant using it on a bracelet that could encounter it and the finish be damaged by it. Plus applying it would be a PITA.

Shellac is easily re-dissolved by ethanol. Ditto on avoiding using that on jewelery unless it is top coated.

Since you like the look of the acrylic go with that. Spraying light coats of acrylic will work. It dries quickly. Recoat it after 30 minutes and less than 1.5 hours. Otherwise you have to wait 72 hours to recoat it. I like Minwax Polycrylic. Don't be concerned about covering every single link on each spraying. Suspend the chain on something, give it a light spray, emphasis on light, shake it a bit so the links don't stick together, let it hang for the 30 to 90 minutes. Denub then repeat. I would use a synthetic sanding cloth to get your irregular surface. Avoid using steel wool on your light wood when using a water borne finish or you could get streaks of rust.

very helpful, thank you Cindy