Candle holder... The perfect gift I was trying to figure out

Tom Cancelleri

My one-day finish for stuff as big as say, a coffee table:

Cut Bullseye sealcoat by 50% with alcohol. Apply with a clean cotton rag, wiping it so as to leave no runs. Wait 5 minutes and re-apply. Repeat until there is a consistent, but barely noticeable film, usually 3-4 coats. Wait 30 minutes, scuff lightly with 320 - 400 grit paper. Remove dust with a tack cloth. Wipe on a thin coat of wiping poly, and I mean something like Minwax poly cut by 40% or so with spirits. Allow to dry overnight. Avoid heavy use for another day or two, if possible.

The shellac is suoer fast to seal the wood and build a slight film, then one coat of poly provides wear and spill protection. Certainly not as much as using poly from bare wood, but doesn't take a week, either.

After the first one received a beat down I made another one. This time to level the feet I went to woodcraft and leveled it on their 10" disc sander. I then bought a 10" disc/belt sander before I left.

Round 2 Candle holder almost finished. First coat of Arm R Seal top coat on it. This stuff goes on so easily.

IMAG2264.jpg
  • Like 1

Just put on the second coat of Arm R Seal. Hit the first coat lightly with 320 grit. Shop is sitting at 78 degrees (it's miserable in there) I sweat just thinking about it. Third and last coat will be thinned per Eric's recommendation and brushed on with a foam brush. I won't have 2 days to buff with wax. I'm giving it as a gift Wednesday night. 

Cure time is 2 weeks, so I won't have a chance to buff it out. 

With respect, why?

Should be smooth as a baby's bottom without the wet sand and be a perfect gift.  

I just realized wet sand would be after it cures, I won't have time for that so no wet sanding will happen. I usually wet sand finishes to make them smooth. I've never worked with Arm R Seal. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Just put on the second coat of Arm R Seal. Hit the first coat lightly with 320 grit. Shop is sitting at 78 degrees (it's miserable in there) I sweat just thinking about it. Third and last coat will be thinned per Eric's recommendation and brushed on with a foam brush. I won't have 2 days to buff with wax. I'm giving it as a gift Wednesday night. 

Cure time is 2 weeks, so I won't have a chance to buff it out. 

I'd put that third coat on with an old shirt made into a pad.  A foam brush is gonna be too wet and you'll run the risk of leaving drips.  It's kind of defeating the purpose of the thinned final coat...you want it thin, just so it covers up the scratches from the previous round of sanding.  It will dry faster so fewer nibs will settle on the surface.  I apply my first coat with a foam brush...but only the first coat.  You have a lot more control with a fat wad of cloth barely wet.  Thin, light, even strokes.

• Like 1