Christmas in January

Bombarde16

Cashed in some Amazon love and treated myself to a carbide tip. This is the hollower from "Simple Tools". Handle is a piece of wormy, spalted ash that I dragged out of the woods in a local park. Heavy emphasis on the wormy part...a delightful exodus of maggoty white creepy crawlers when I started roughing it round.

b46434cf6ed67cdcdc65bce7b6a32e63.jpgfc83804eea7781e7025c5d1805fb7a4f.jpg

Can't wait to give it a test drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OK, breakfast can wait. This is a new toy we're talking about.

4fe2efb75aeae8e4366ea574b902c165.jpg

Straight out of the box and into the handle. (An element of trust there: The specs said the tang was 1/2" round. I had turned and drilled the handle before it arrived and it was a perfect fit.) I put it to work on the transition between the base and sides of the bottom of my segmented vase. Performed like a champ in an otherwise dangerous, catch-prone situation. Just put the hefty bar flat on the tool rest and dive in. No matter where the tool contacts the work it stays happy.

And so, therefore, am I.

Interesting handle, don't recall seeing one with two sections like that - what do you use the two areas for?

Not sure either but it was something I saw and decided to give it a try. The big issue is getting the largest diameter possible (to counteract any tendency for the workpiece to twist the tool) while still having a tool that fits your hand.

Ewwww you just reminded me of something. I had been using an angle grinder with a carving disc on a big piece of sycamore that didn't appear to have any insect markings and such in it. It had been cut and sitting around for 6 months in my shop. I was spiraling it with the carving disc and spinning the lathe by hand. I came across a worm hole and sprayed live worm guts all over me and my lathe. Was pretty damn nasty.

• Like 1

I like the looks!

I've not turned any wood with creepy/crawly things in it, but the worst for me was cutting and then turning antler. I think I'll burn some scented candles in the shop the next time I turn antler. I got a bunch from a friend so I will turn it again. The smell reminded me of burning hair.