Outdoor Furniture Finish

cburlett

A few years back I purchased a day bed from a little antique store here in Las Vegas, NM that was built in Mora County, New Mexico by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers.   There is some lovely traditional hand-carving on it which gives it a very local flair.  We just had a screen room built on the back of our house with retractable screens and would like to put it out there.  While not directly exposed to the elements it will have some limited exposure when the screens are up.   

We have just cleaned and sanded it and want to put a sealant or wood preservative on it to protect it from UV and the elements.   I don't know what kind of wood it is but it may be a local wood....perhaps Ponderosa Pine, Douglas Fir or White Fir.   

A friend recommended SPAR VARNISH which is a good suggestion, however I do not want a Glossy Finish.....any thoughts from the Forum members.  

Spar varnish has some UV protectants, and is more flexible than regular varnish.

In your climate, perhaps a simple boiled linseed oil would be a better choice. This type of finish provides little protection, but leaves the wood with a silky, natural texture. It can be re-applied as often as needed, without stripping the piece first.