Shop cleaning and rearranging day.

Tom Cancelleri

I think you need more outlets...

That corner at one point had 7 tools in it. Spindle sander, 10-14 mini lathe, bandsaw, disc/belt sander, scroll saw, bench grinder, and router table. 

That right wall has 6 single gang 110v outlets and 1 220v outlet. The back wall has 3 single gang 20amp outlets and 1 single gang 15amp outlet. The left wall has 5 single gang 110v 20 amp outlets. Then there are 4 banks of single gang 15 amp in the soffit for the lights, and 2 single gang 15amp outlets in the ceiling.

So far today I've cleaned my router table, cleaned and lubed the router lift. Dismantled and cleaned my drum sander. Found my stash of new paper for it. Changed the paper in my drum sander, lubed any bushings and bearings, threaded rods, etc. Right now it's lunch time. Eating some chili, some guacamole I just made, and drinking a beer. I'm getting excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel and have my shop done. It's been a long year of progress with a lot of hiccups along the way.

When you get done, come on down, the weather is warmer and I'll feed you all the guacamole your gut can handle if you'll make my shop look like that!

• 3 months later...

After many renditions and tool upgrades and additions. The shop rearrange is well underway. Finally got some wall cabinets. Put two up today, gonna put another 24" on that wall, and then a shelf since there are some tall things like a drill press and tool box there. Finally some real organization. Took Kev's advice and bought unfinished cabinets from Lowe's, and said to hell with building them.

I know i know, I'll paint the ceiling soon enough. It's on the short list.

7a15ddedfe79edf70339f64de2b4e08d.jpg

bf8cc6066be40ad783ecde2aaf497f42.jpg

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

After many renditions and tool upgrades and additions. The shop rearrange is well underway. Finally got some wall cabinets. Put two up today, gonna put another 24" on that wall, and then a shelf since there are some tall things like a drill press and tool box there. Finally some real organization. Took Kev's advice and bought unfinished cabinets from Lowe's, and said to hell with building them.

I know i know, I'll paint the ceiling soon enough. It's on the short list.

They're not "great" cabinets by any stretch but, they get the job done and get you making sawdust on projects you want to do rather than projects you don't want to do.  I've got some that are still holding up to the abuse in my shop after about 4 years.

They're not "great" cabinets by any stretch but, they get the job done and get you making sawdust on projects you want to do rather than projects you don't want to do. I've got some that are still holding up to the abuse in my shop after about 4 years.

I put some ledger strips underneath to install them. Gonna leave them there for support, and I might put some hooks or little things to hold pencils and what not on the strips to have some functional use.

• Like 1

I put some ledger strips underneath to install them. Gonna leave them there for support, and I might put some hooks or little things to hold pencils and what not on the strips to have some functional use.

Should work fine!  I'm sure you'll get your money's worth out of them very quickly!

Isn't it nice to finally get organized? Well, I've been told it was anyway

Good on ya!

Most important thing in the shop in my opinion is organization.  An hour spent looking for X is an hour that could have been spent doing what you love.  When things flow smoothly, your projects will improve because you mind never wanders wondering where you put something.

Most important thing in the shop in my opinion is organization. An hour spent looking for X is an hour that could have been spent doing what you love. When things flow smoothly, your projects will improve because you mind never wanders wondering where you put something.

I know where my stuff is, I just hate having it stacked on boxes, tables, work benches and in piles wherever there is space in the corner. Hard to keep it orderly like that.

I just adjusted the rails of my garage door and the tracks to push the door forward a bit more to better seal it. There were some sizeable gaps between the weather stripping and the door that weren't there when I installed the weather stripping. All sealed up, let's see if that helps keep some of this ungodly humidity out. I can't wait for this to be done. Gonna be a fun shop tour

• Like 1

I just adjusted the rails of my garage door and the tracks to push the door forward a bit more to better seal it. There were some sizeable gaps between the weather stripping and the door that weren't there when I installed the weather stripping. All sealed up, let's see if that helps keep some of this ungodly humidity out. I can't wait for this to be done. Gonna be a fun shop tour

Couldnt you just have unscrewed your weather stripping and pushed it closer to the door?

It's nailed and caulked from the outside. It's a piece with this rubbery plastic flap that pushes against the door.

Interesting. Its done a little differently here. Just pull off the center cap to reveal the screws and it can be moved.

And another bit of time rearranging the shop. I will say moving 5 pieces of 4x8 hardwood ply is tough solo. Moving a 200 pound slab solo, much easier.

Stole a page from Eric's rhyme book. Moved my temp miter station to the other side to use as out feed for the bandsaw.

e9d317d3b491742ddb5897c514576df3.jpg

Had to slice my 11 foot cherry slab which will be a table at some point in the near future. Track saw is still king for making big cuts.

First cut started to bind the blade, the track shifted a bit while cutting.

c6b5605dd2d2170d02323d54a66c5e00.jpg

• Like 1