Craftsman Jointer / Planer - Need your guidance

Illini40

Hello,

As I try to move from complete beginner to just a woodworking beginner, I've been trying to find a used planer and/or jointer. I came across the unit in the link below. What are your thoughts?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/4937617268.html

I'm a little confused on the "jointer/planer" concept. I always understood them to be seperate tools? Could you help me understand?

My main interest is to be anbke to joint.

I have the exact machine, I bought it nearly unused I think I paid 200 for it. As a planer, I am not a fan but as a jointer It is more than adequate for my needs, it is only a 2 blade machine and the cutter speed is a little slower than it could be so if you feed the material too fast it leaves a dimpled surface, as you get to the end of the process of getting a straight edge, back of the depth of cut and slow the feed rate and you can get an edge that is plenty good enough edge for gluing.

look the blades over well for signs of abuse and check for bearing play in the cutting head, take a straight edge, run the input tabs up flush with the out feed table and check for parallel surfaces

They are in fact separate tools (aside from combo machines).

I think at some point craftsman marketed jointers as Jointer / Planers.

I have a slightly older model of the same jointer. Once you get it setup and dialed in, it does a pretty decent job. You can probably find one a little cheaper, but if it's in good condition it's worth the asking price.

Can you describe the process for changing blades? Someone mentioned that some Craftsman units just dropped the blades in - not sure if this unit is the same or not....

I don't want to pull my hair out to trying to change blades and getting it setup.

Concerned about how much mechanical skills are needed to adjust it....

They are in fact separate tools (aside from combo machines).

I think at some point craftsman marketed jointers as Jointer / Planers.

I have a slightly older model of the same jointer. Once you get it setup and dialed in, it does a pretty decent job. You can probably find one a little cheaper, but if it's in good condition it's worth the asking price.

Care to expand on the setup and dialing in?

If the gentleman has it setup now, and I move it home, how much work do you think I would have getting it setup?

Jointer setup is straightforward, as long as you understand the principles of operation. The infeed and outfeed tables must be 'co-planar', meaning that if the infeed table is fully raised, it will be in exactly the same plane as the outfeed table. When the infeed is lowered, it will remain in a parallel plane with the outfeed. The knives are adjusted so as to be on plane with, or just a few thousandths above, the outfeed table.

Marc did a good video explaining it better than I can:

118 - Jointer Setup: http://youtu.be/gO746cuRqV4

As a general rule, the jointer is one of the more finicky machines in the shop to get calibrated.  Also generally (and unfortunately), the cheaper the machine, the more difficult and frustrating the calibration will be, and the less likely it will hold those calibrations after your frustrated efforts.  Ironically, it is one of, if not the most critical to be calibrated perfectly, since it's the first step in every project...and if your boards aren't flat and square from the start, you're fighting an uphill battle throughout the entire build...and ultimately you'll end up with a sloppy piece.

There are times to get cheap and times to buck up and lay out the beans...this is one of the latter.  Get a good jointer and save your money on the planer purchase.  Find a used 735 for a few hundred, be happy.  And by the way...you need both the jointer and the planer...one will do you no good without the other.  Especially true for a jointer without a planer...essentially worthless.