Reclaiming shop space and circumventing HOAs!

Tom Cancelleri

So my biggest gripe in my shop is that I have a 5x4 area that is being occupied by a lawn mower, leaf blower, chainsaw, rototiller and gas cans. Putting a shed in my yard requires I submit elevation plans, material samples, lot location placement, neighbor approval depending on yard location and height. 

I have 6 foot tall fences and only need to store the yard tools listed above in a shed. I don't need anything too tall or too crazy, and I found the perfect solution, and I'm gonna be so happy to get those things out of the shop, and to not have to go through the HOA. 

Rubbermaid makes a 5 foot tall shed that has a sliding roof and dual swinging doors. I've got a perfect spot for it and it will be out of sight.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Plastic-Outdoor-96-Cubic-1800005/dp/B007KL9PBW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433117308&sr=8-1&keywords=rubbermaid+slide+shed

k2-_fdef3309-94c4-4339-96c7-7188b2a55221

k2-_8ead4a32-0e42-4ead-b5a0-2608c32214a7

Tom, I suggest you find one or one similiar in size and look at it before you buy it. My nieces husband bought one the same size but didn't have the sliding roof. He also purchased the floor and installation (as he can't tie his own shoes without help). I think he spent $1,209 or so total. To say this thing is compact is an understatement. Just saying!

The only things going in are yard tools. The nice thing about buying it at Wal-Mart is I can bring it back. As for insulation, no need for insulation for a shed holding a lawn mower. My parents have 2 sheds neither insulated that house all their yard tools, riding lawn mower, etc. I winterize my engines. Anything else you thing I should be concerned with. Also, it's made in the USA so no China quality control issues. I looked for a few hours for a shed that size. I thought about building it, but between time and cost it wouldn't be worth it. Shed got great reviews, unless in not thinking of something.

Should work fine for what you want to keep in it. If you notice any gaps, shoot a little spray foam. I keep yard machines in unheated shed and as long as they are put away right for the winter no problems when needed. If it gets really cold, I will throw a moving blanket over the snow blower.

The wife showed me a link to a motocycle shed, but I can't find it. The top was one piece and hinged, to open it you lift the rear up and there was enough room for a full size bagger motocycle and the rider too sit on it to back it out, very cool set up with about a 5x9 foot print. Seems like it was in the 1000-1500 range.

Should work fine for what you want to keep in it. If you notice any gaps, shoot a little spray foam. I keep yard machines in unheated shed and as long as they are put away right for the winter no problems when needed. If it gets really cold, I will throw a moving blanket over the snow blower.

From a guy from the south, that seems comical. Why would you cover a snow blower, of all things?

From a guy from the south, that seems comical. Why would you cover a snow blower, of all things?

Rust? The highest risk of deterioration comes to tools that are only used 10 times a year. I have cleaned too many mouse nests out of machines left outside, repaired too many squirrel gnawed wires. They are cheap fixes, but time consuming.

• Like 1

Mine stays in the garage, of all the stuff I have that better start the snowblower is #3 on the list, right behind the work truck and the motorcycle, don't really care if the grass get mowed or trimmed but the driveway and side walks must be cleared, that's why I cover him up and play him the music of his choice till it's time to perform

• Like 1

I got rid of my lawn equipment the best way possible.  Shed not required.

I gave the lawn equipment to Habitat for Humanity then hired a lawn service.  I haven't done yard work for about 10 years.  :)

Love it!  May have to consider that once the last kid is out of the house.  Till then, if he wants to eat, he mows!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...