Yikes - Hand planing wide boards

N00b-in-training

I decided to take a little break from building and just play around a bit on a small project that could be done in a day but I decided to take a week or two and learn a thing or two. 

I edge joined 3 10" wide ash boards together for an upcoming project, 40" in length. After cleaning up the glue squeeze out I decided to finish smoothing them with my new (and sharpened) 4 1/2 smoothing plane. I struggled from the word go trying to smooth the boards. I had one with grain going left to right and the one joined to it was going right to left. I get why that would tear out but what I couldn't figure out was tear out on the same board. On the bottom (edge closest to me) of one board I'd get tear going left to right and on the top edge of that board I'd get tear out going right to left. I dialed the depth back a bit to the thinest shaving and I was still getting it. 

What am I missing? Can anyone point me to good, reliable resources to help a beginner? I've read 5 different articles this evening that say 5 different things. Thanks for any guidance you guys can give!

I work with ash a lot, and it is known for its big cathedrals (like oak), its durability, its acceptance of colour, and its reversing grain.

When hand planing ash, be very mindful of grain direction.  Just because the cathedrals are going away from you, doesn't mean you are working with the grain.  Check out some info in reading grain direction.

if smoothing, take light cuts and tighten the mouth to produce whispy shavings.  Of course, a sharp iron (and I mean sharp) is required.

How about some pics?  Maybe we can help a bit more.

handplane2.thumb.jpg.c0fe14b1b9f163504c9

I was definitely on either side of the cathedral on 2 of the 3 pieces. Good graphic to help. I'm going to hone my plane some more tomorrow night and try agin. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk