Good chisels or no?

Chewie17

I picked up a set of the Grace gunsmith screwdrivers intending to use them on my planes.  Out of the set, only one fit (for the frog screws), the others were not the right sizes for planes or saws.  I returned the set.

I wound up buying a set of gunsmithing screwdriver bits from Amazon (made by Weaver) and had better luck there.

• Like 1

I have a set of Grace screwdrivers, flat blades and phillips and find them great. They work well on all my planes and I reserve them for fine work. They fit screws exactly and have parallel blade sides. I do have a LN stubby screwdriver for plane irons though as using an 18" long flat blade on a plane iron is just silly.

I have a pair of Hirsch Two Cherries skew chisels (not for woodturning BTW) and they are great and keep an edge extremely well.

• Like 1

So the screw drivers would be used for small screws and delicate stuff where I shouldn't be using a drill. I don't have any planes yet however I do have tools that need some care so I'm hoping these drivers will be able to last for years to come and do the job I need them to do. The chisels will be used for general woodwork, dovetails hinges and things like that. Just to get my foot in the door to good woodworking chisels Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

Not just small screws but on any screws that you would use on fine woodworking. These screwdrivers are designed not to slip so you would not get burrs on screw heads. You need to select the correct sized screwdriver for the screw you are using - that's why there are so many in a set.

Regular screwdrivers have tapered driving surfaces, gunmakers ones like these are parallel sided so fit the slots exactly. Just don't let anybody use them to open paint cans and they will last many years.

Not just small screws but on any screws that you would use on fine woodworking. These screwdrivers are designed not to slip so you would not get burrs on screw heads. You need to select the correct sized screwdriver for the screw you are using - that's why there are so many in a set.

Regular screwdrivers have tapered driving surfaces, gunmakers ones like these are parallel sided so fit the slots exactly. Just don't let anybody use them to open paint cans and they will last many years.

Yeah I do renovations full time and I have a set of Milwaukee just the basic set they work alright And I have a set of dewalt that doesn't get much use because they stay in the truck. So for woodworking I want to spend money on quality so the fit and finish is higher quality also. So long as these drivers are worth it as well as the chisels than I shouldn't have an issue... I've been reading up on chisel care and have taken some practice with old ones around the house and they are sharp however I didn't have a great guide so the angles are off which is fine because I went smaller which gave it a "micro" bevel but they work great for general reno work which isn't fine carpentry Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk