Ice Cream Cart

wouldwurker

This will be the big gift for my two boys this Christmas.  

I saw a version of this made by a company who makes mostly wooden kids toys.   It was crazy pricy for my tastes, and I can (of course) find ways to improve and customize the design. 

This was the first time I sketched something out to scale directly on a piece of ply.   Amazing how many mistakes I almost made (and thankfully avoided), just in the sketching process.  

Cut and dado'ed the top last night.   The Lexan is slightly overlapped and slides over the other - as such, only one side can be open at a time (Like a frozen food cart)   

The ice cream will obviously be fake by the way   ?

image.jpg

• Like 1

Vinn, this is going to be darn cool, but fake ice cream? How about a refer in this thing and stock it with Blue Bell! It's not lethal any more!

You spelled reefer wrong Coop

I can't visualize the scale, Vinny. Is this going to be large enough for a child to stand up and push around like a real cart?

To help visualize the scale

Still working out the design of legs OTF.  The legs might bolt on into a recess in the case.  This way, I can raise the case on a higher bolt hole when the kids get taller. 

Will likely get some of those fun colored casters that Rockler sells 

image.jpg

• Like 1

As always....I've officially over building this.  

This is definitely one of the situations where screws and finish washers would have been a hellova lot faster. 

I actually ran out of 5 x 30 Domino's...so screws and finish washers might make an appearance by the end of the evening.  

That said given the complete lack of visible joinery,  i'm 86'ing the paint and this bad boy is probably going to get finished properly.  

image.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a lot of time sanding raising grain and re-sanding, but should make for a quicker paint and waterborne finish application. Assuming it stops raining tomorrow! ......... drawer boxes dado'ed and domino'ed. 86'ed the dominoes for the case dividers and went with screws and finish washers.

7dfc3b169afcf927390e47bae80d7ac7.jpg

b3d98f9cede89ddce7f2a0e46297577b.jpg

Love me some blue tape... Look mom no tear out!

c6dfa288acb59d7c7935d02da536a4ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought it after seeing Doug Stowe's video workshop on box making - he uses a half-sheet sander, upside down, and takes the box to the tool. Gives you a perfectly square face on each side as you work your way up the grit.....besides that, I only use it on larger flat surfaces that I don't want to be overly aggressive on.

I'm sure there are cheaper options, but the dust collection on the festool is pretty awesome

Hit the whole case with the HVLP today. Four coats. Note the world's fanciest finish strainer 75e8382d90c3ffdb3d53a5a76d39be7b.jpg

Finally glued on the top - I had left it dry fit only so I could paint and finish it easier. bf8bfe8a6a395c647e33a4af4095f689.jpg. Now onto the ice cream panel...glue sizing some 1/4" mdf to prepare for spray paint. fde855b985b9536ea5a55cbda712728a.jpg

• Like 2

What did you size it with, Vinny? Wood glue & water?

Yep - 50:50

Sanded to 320 after. And one more coat of the same. Will make the spray paint that much easier to apply.

After spraying my pine drawer fronts outside in 99% humidity they must of swelled about an 8th inch!

Nothing like soft Pine and a block plane to fit two drawers. Went with an opposing chamfer in the middle24cd451f2bb3f9c0b834528293994e4c.jpg29dac2fa49ed0e49be84ce846f0c30ad.jpg

• Like 1