Platform For Small Pieces

Immortan D

Sometimes working with hand planes on the face of small pieces can get difficult, especially when I'm shaping the edges at an angle.

I didn't know how to address this problem when I first encountered it, so I built a small platform, the pictures talk by themselves:

56aabb39b6276_2016-01-2821.54.03.jpg.375

56aabb4747996_2016-01-2821.56.24.jpg.0d2

56aabb588ee03_2016-01-2821.56.54.jpg.3e6

Maybe there's a better way, you guys please tell me.

So far, this method worked just fine for me so I wanted to share it with you.

7 minutes ago, James Wright said:

If it works that is all that matters. in my case I have through holes and I slide the dog down to the appropriate depth. and then wen done push the dog down through to get it out.

I use that platform when planing at an angle, as in bevels or curves reaching the edges. There's no way to do it with the piece sitting on the bench, because the plane hits the bench. How do you solve that situation?

2 minutes ago, James Wright said:

Oh I see what you are saying. for putting on a chamfer or roundover? I clamp the board vertically in the vice and hit one edge at a time. or just hold it in my hand.

That piece on my picture is 1/2" at the center and will end up being 1/8" at the edges. That's what I mean by planing a curve that reaches the edges. I can't clamp it vertically or hold it with my hand to do those curves properly.

Taper from center to edge is what you meant, correct?  I assume it's in all four directions!  Is it meant to hold something?  with a taper, you have that famous song to deal with  Slip sliding away!  You could build a jig, run it through a planer, or just do it by hand.  If the method works for you, then, ya done good!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichardA said:

Taper from center to edge is what you meant, correct?  I assume it's in all four directions!  Is it meant to hold something?  with a taper, you have that famous song to deal with  Slip sliding away!  You could build a jig, run it through a planer, or just do it by hand.  If the method works for you, then, ya done good!

Exactly, but the angle changes gradually near the edges, so it looks more like a curve than a taper.

The method allows me to strongly clamp the piece without ruining the thin edges with the dogs. It also gives me the required clearance from the bench top, letting me plane in all directions without re clamping.

But of course YMMV! I don't have space for a planer, have to drive about 2 hours each time I want to use my friend's.

• Like 1