Polishing Waterlox

Cliff

I'm interested in doing a final polish on my countertops (5 coats of waterlox original sealer) similar to what I did on my walnut bench. 50/50 mineral spirits/mineral oil. Waterlox is mineral spirits based so I think this will be ok. Anyone know for sure? And should I wait until it's cured? Cause that is 30-90 days supposedly.

The mineral spirits flash off and the oil drys, leaving behind a resin film. Mineral spirits won't dissolve or ruin the finish.

When I wet sand a final polish, I use mineral spirits as the lube. Never a problem.

As far as Waterlox goes, the actual scientific chemical breakdown is 50% old tires, 50% dead skunks. I can't believe you used that vile stuff indoors!

• Like 1

Maybe I should rephrase to.. Final steps to take on this? I might just try 1000 grit festool pad alone and see how that goes. I'm just looking to get it nice and silky smooth. I think the luster is there no mater what.

I think that you have to be careful not to abrade thru your last coat or the boundary between the last coat and the previous coat will be visible.  So be careful if you use even a very fine wet/dry sandpaper. 

Am am starting a threadon a similar subject.

7 hours ago, vinnyjojo said:

Seriously...stop overthinking this and polish the damn thing. It'll be fine

That's exactly how a person can ruin an entire project in an instant. Just doing things does not work for me in woodworking. It almost always results in a complete disaster. Approaching anything in this manner requires knowledge and experience, two things I do not have in finishing.

• Like 1