What kind of plane is this?

Mpride1911

My dad was at a swap meet/ car show in Reno at the beginning of the month and decided to buy me two hand planes that needed work.  Both are pretty rough and missing parts.  One appears to be a completely generic unmarked jack plane, and the other is just bizarre.  I can't figure out what it is, and haven't been able to figure out how to describe it in Google to find one like it.  It's about the same length as the jack plane, but with a square toe, and a strange lever beside where the blade should go.  The set came with one iron an chip breaker, with the brand name of Revonoc.   I've looked up their planes, and they all appear to be standard Bailey styles, the difference being the weird taper that the iron has, though it seems to be in really good shape.

Any ideas?

20160816_123549.jpg

20160816_123554.jpg

20160816_123602.jpg

19 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Google "auto set plane mechanism".  I'm not sure that's what it is, but there were some weird variations.

I did, on your advice, nothing of note came up.  I only looked at it, in my truck, when I opened the box.  On further inspection, I see that the sole appears to simply be stamped steel, with the arch riveted or spot welded on for rigidity.  Clearly cheap, but so weird at the same time.

A scrub plane, like a Stanley 40, has an integral frog and a cross bar like that: when you turn the screw on the cap iron it holds the blade in place by leveraging against the bar.  The lever may have been to advance or retract the blade:  does it have any teeth like the adjuster on a Stanley 78? 

On August 20, 2016 at 11:44 PM, Daniel Kuehl said:

I thought that this might have been some sort of exotic pattern maker's plane, but no....this is a Stanley 105 Liberty Bell plane. The depth adjust lever gave it away for me.

Oh my god, YES!   Thank you so much for that response.  I googled it, and I'm surprised to see that it looks identical.  Thank you.  Thank you.