Display case questions

dlmorgan999

I am about to embark on my second project.  This will be a display case made from Walnut.   I got the basic idea from photos I saw on a forum somewhere (I don't remember where).   The case will be ~ 24" high x 20" wide x 3" deep.  There will be adjustable 1/2" thick shelves (three or four - I haven't firmed that up yet).  Also, I may be putting a dado in the bottom center of each shelf to hold an LED lighting strip. 

I want to use glass inset for the door, and I've never done this before.  From what I've been reading here, it sounds like I should put a rabbet in the back side of the door frame (the frame will be 1.5 - 2 inches wide) and then use clear caulk (Lexel or similar) to fasten the glass in. Is that all there is to it, or should I do more?

The other thing I'd like to do is use a mirror on the back, but I also don't know how to go about doing that.  It seems that if the back is going to be mostly covered by the mirror, I could use 1/4" plywood or something for reduction of both cost and weight.  But if any of it would end up being visible then I wouldn't want to do that.  Then there is the question of how best to fasten the mirror.  Maybe I could use the same method as the door (mount the mirror in the back of a frame)?  In that case, I would obviously use Walnut instead of plywood.

Any help / advice / pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Rather than caulking the glass in place, consider using glazier's points, as in traditional window frames, or make the rabbet deep enough to accept the glass + a thin frame to hold it in with screws. Gluing the glass in makes for a mess if it ever breaks, and needs replacement.

If you want the back of the case as a mirror, I would make it in a frame, similar to the door, then use the framed mirror as if it were a panel.

• Like 2

Depending on how finished you want the interior to look . . . I have dropped eight 1" long beads of silicone rubber cement spaced along the rabbet to seat glass.  This gives an invisible retainer that works well if your glass fits your opening well. 

GnG Wall Cab (181).jpg

I leave a 1/16".gap all the way around.  I have pieces that are a decade old with glass held in doors in this way; no problems.

If your glass fit is not-so-good or you just want a framed retainer type look you can still use the silicone and then use a bit more silicone and glue in some mitered 1/4 round stock finished to match the interior. If the glass ever breaks it is no big deal to peel the rubber out and repair the door.

18 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Rather than caulking the glass in place, consider using glazier's points, as in traditional window frames, or make the rabbet deep enough to accept the glass + a thin frame to hold it in with screws. Gluing the glass in makes for a mess if it ever breaks, and needs replacement.

If you want the back of the case as a mirror, I would make it in a frame, similar to the door, then use the framed mirror as if it were a panel.

Thanks for the pointer to glazier's points.   I hadn't heard of those and they look like a decent solution.

12 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Depending on how finished you want the interior to look . . . I have dropped eight 1" long beads of silicone rubber cement spaced along the rabbet to seat glass.  This gives an invisible retainer that works well if your glass fits your opening well. 

Thanks for the picture - another idea to consider.  I don't have my glass yet.  If I get it from a glass shop, I should be able to get a perfect fit, but we'll see.

Yes, you can have the glass cut to any size you wish.  I'd suggest building the project first and then having them cut the glass to fit.  Better than trying to build a project around something they cut.

As for the back mirror, I'd suggest a full thickness ply back and just use adhesive to attach the mirror material to that.  I'm assuming that you'll want to hang this somewhere so, think about that before attaching the mirror.

Good luck. 

14 minutes ago, dlmorgan999 said:

Yup - that's my plan for the glass - build, then order to fit.

As to the mirror, I had a similar thought last night, but I'm not sure how to fasten the plywood/mirror to the rest of the case.

I also started thinking about how to hang the case - I need to research the different options.

A simple rabbit in the back would work just fine - You could make the case a bit deeper and inset a French cleat in the back, that would be an easy option.  Or, you could leave the inside mirror a little short on the top and install thru the backing material into studs.

• Like 1