New Dust Collection

Steve Lyde

I'm getting serious about dust collection in my garage shop. Last year I bought a Harbor Freight unit which was ok but I hate messing with the bag and I don't think the cloth filter is very good compared to a pleated paper filter. So I have rigged up a new system using the motor and impeller of the HF unit with a cyclone and filter from Clear Vue. I still have to run hard lines to everything but the unit is up and running and working well. Is it as good as a complete CV system, I doubt it, but it's what fit my budget and seems to work really well thus far.

post-6663-0-45138400-1349319228_thumb.jp

Steve looks good, what is the longest run you have hooked up? I have a cyclone that I want to hook up to my HF DC.

I have a 1.5 HP single stager, but calculated that my static loss would be too great if I added a cyclone (brings me below 800 cfm). You might want to use Bill's calculator to make sure your collector can handle the extra static pressure that a cyclone adds (it think it between 3 and 4).

I have the CV Max 1800 I think is the number and I have a main trunk line from 8" PVC with drops to different machines and its a great collection system. It's got a 5 hp motor and with the canister filters it will really keep the shop clean. You never get rid of all of it but it was worth every penny for me.

Made one modification to my dust collection system today. The steel garbage can just wasn't getting the job done, it was really a few inches too tall and I couldn't get the lid to seal well enough. Replaced it with a fiber can from Penn State Industries. Now I have a good seal and better performance than before. Now I just need to figure out tool placement in my garage and run some over head duct work.