Chest-U-Lator

AMarshall

I originally posted this on the old Guild Forum, and finally realized that it hadn't made the move. This excel tool will help you to resize your Chest of Drawers if you want to deviate from the published plans.

Link: http://thewoodwhisperer.com/files/chest-u-lator-v2.xls

Options include:

- Equal height drawers, or drawer heights based on a standard increment like Marc used. Manual input also available.

- Overall case dimensions can be changed

- Up to 10 levels of drawers can be used, and the top 5 levels can be split into 2 drawers like Marc did.

Technical note: This spreadsheet uses a macro to redraw the simple diagram included. Excel macros are not supported by Google Docs, or by MS Office on the Mac. You can still use the spreadsheet to calculate part sizes, you just won't be able to redraw unless you have Excel. Also, you must enable the macro. I wrote it myself and personally guarantee that it is harmless.

The current dimensions in the file match the recent Guild Build Chest of Drawers. The attached images show a few samples of what can be done using the tool.

Be sure to check out the instructions on the first tab, and let me know if you have a question.

post-6-056259400 1284131738_thumb.png

post-6-082657200 1284131747_thumb.png

post-6-057590000 1284131753_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The chest-u-lator is fantastic! I do have a question on the calculation for the "too much space used" field (cell T62). I've done my math backwards and forwards for a 50" chest but it keeps telling me i need to make my drawers smaller. Are there any known bugs that would prevent the calculation from displaying accurately?

Thanks!

Are there any known bugs that would prevent the calculation from displaying accurately?

Wow, blast from the past! I had to dust it off and take a look to remind myself how it works! There's not a known bug, but you may have just discovered it first. I'll PM you with an e-mail address, feel free to send me your file and I'll take a look at your particular measurements.

In the meantime, that message can sometimes be ignored. Column P contains the dimensions used for the drawing, and the "final" numbers in column P pull values from Columns R, S, T - depending on which option you select in cell D16. If you aren't using the "Manual Input" method for sizing the drawers, you should ignore the "too much space used" message entirely. It's just there to help you monkey around with the number in column T, and only if you want to manually set up your drawers.