POPLAR

jasonjarrard

Most poplar used here in West Virginia, at least that I've seen, is usually in the form of trim shapes, or something that is stained to look like a different wood, or painted. Much of the poplar I use has been picked up from scrap piles. I personally like the variation in the color that makes it not as useful to most fine woodworking. I have made a lot of small boxes, which when presented to the recipient always bring the question," Where did you get thid wood, and what kind is it?". I have seen poplar ranging from almost white through pale yellow and into medium brown and green shades. It can be stained to look like the most beautiful cherry color ever seen. If you have an up scale homebuilding area nearby, check with the builder for cutoffs to experiment with. Scrap piles can be most profitable for test wood. It is a relativly stable, not too soft material. I think it is easy to work with. It takes Min-wax stains very well. Varnish will bring out highlights that are not always obvious until then. Have fun, experiment, who knows...........

Most poplar used here in West Virginia, at least that I've seen, is usually in the form of trim shapes, or something that is stained to look like a different wood, or painted. Much of the poplar I use has been picked up from scrap piles. I personally like the variation in the color that makes it not as useful to most fine woodworking. I have made a lot of small boxes, which when presented to the recipient always bring the question," Where did you get thid wood, and what kind is it?". I have seen poplar ranging from almost white through pale yellow and into medium brown and green shades. It can be stained to look like the most beautiful cherry color ever seen. If you have an up scale homebuilding area nearby, check with the builder for cutoffs to experiment with. Scrap piles can be most profitable for test wood. It is a relativly stable, not too soft material. I think it is easy to work with. It takes Min-wax stains very well. Varnish will bring out highlights that are not always obvious until then. Have fun, experiment, who knows...........

bought 4/4 about 70 bf made a jewelry and making a bench seat right now i like the looks but i love all woods :P