Walnut Hall Table

Eric.

Hi Eric,

That table is really great. I have lost interest with contemporary designs but this table could swing me the other way. Really sweet item. That you in profile photo?

I have not been able to use American Black Walnut much. This is the only job we have done with it. I was only an apprentice at the time so I can't claim credit for any of it.

My daughter's sitting in my lap as I was scrolling through the pics;

Daughter: Oooh, that's pretty.  I have that?  (She's 3 yrs old)

Me:  No sweetheart, that's for someone else..

Daughter: But I really like it.  Can you make it?  You make lots of stuff :rolleyes:

Me:  I don't know..  I don't think the man that built this would like me to copy his piece..

Daughter:  Oh, he won't mind..  Tell him it's for me!!

Me:  You're too funny.  Now go eat some dinner!

Great job Eric!

LOL, go ahead, Andy...I'd only feel honored if you built one like it.  It's not all that original anyway, truth be told.  Besides, you gotta keep the poopy-pants happy, right?

And thanks Haydon.  No, that's not me in the avatar...that's The Master...Krenov.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to see how your current project turns out, Vic.  That design is very cool.  What species are you using?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.  As I said, household duties have gotten in the way of my build for now.  I'm currently doing a semi-remodel on the master bath.  For that I'm building two ceiling, circular light fixtures, two vanity light fixture, a shoji style slider and a night light panel (shoji) of sorts.  The material for the console are Black Limba and Wenge.  The two woods complement each other very well.  Here a couple of the boards side by side. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tumblewoodcreations/8587558935/in/photostream

• 1 month later...

Eric,  Really like the table.  The subtle curl is awesome.  I have been playing around with a design for a similar piece that would use a wide Mahogany board for the top and figured maple for the base.  I have been debating on whether or not to include lower stretchers.  Does the stability of the table seem good enough without them?  Where this piece will go, initially, the base will only be visible on the end..but I really like how clean your table looks with the bare legs.

I won't lie...I wouldn't wanna sit on it.  But for what we use it for...picture frames and what-not, it's perfectly fine.  It's a delicate piece...not rickety, but delicate.  There's no wobble or racking if that's what you're asking, but stretchers would certainly stiffen things up even more.  The one that I used for the general inspiration was Tim Rousseau's (sp?) from FWW...he used a stretcher on his.  I think as long as you don't intend to put heavy things on it, either way is okay.

• 2 months later...