maple keep sake box

duckkisser

took this blue jean stained box that i made and cut a maple leaf in the top.  this was made with my new miniture router

DSCN0301_zps1af54e2f.jpg

maple leaf top using glass dust

DSCN0302_zps1c8e8eca.jpg

here is a quick picture of the box here is some necklaces that im making laying on the table top

DSCN0298_zps702ad760.jpg

my router

early box that i figure i would use it up while practiced.  for this size of a box i dont think it will shift that much plus the top is thin probably on 1/4-1/2 inch thick. 

was shooting to make the leaf look like the summer was fading so i used a dull green and more vibrant red for the tips.  as i do more inlay ill collect more material that i can use for inlay.  hoping over the years ill have a whole shelf of different colored materials.

My first jewelry box lid was mitered around a solid center, oops!!!! I didn't know, and now I do. Its in my gallery and it serves as a reminder of when I knew absolutely nothing. I know its wrong, and I still proudly display it because it was my first project. I was learning on my own.

well i tried it with the larger plunge router and it is so bulky it blocks my vision and its hard to remove dust from my work as im cuting.  and i find that i tend to do small boxes, jewlary ect... so a large base tends to woble on wood so it does not cut even.   with my set up i can have full view of what im cuting plus i have suction to remove my sawdust.  also it is light weight and small enough that just hang it above my head and take it down when i need to route out a picture.  it will never replace a large router for big jobs but when i want to be comfortable and do tiny inlays i can with no problems. 

here is the company i bought my base from

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Routing/Precision_Router_Base.html

honestly if you could try it you would change your tune i spent a hour making a sighn the other day and with full size plunge router my arms were tired at the end with this i could do it all day. 

Hmmm sold.  :-)

You're right - I almost always do this type of work on larger pieces only, but I totally see what you are saying about working with smaller boxes and having the router tip over...  I always find myself messing with building a support for the router when this happens which is a major pain.  

Next time I have a project that calls for it, I'll have to keep this in mind.  Thanks for linking all that good info.

- EG

• 2 weeks later...