Rockler / Fillon mixing lids

dwacker

I thought I would post a quick kudos to Rockler for bringing Fillon mixing lids to the masses. These lids have been around for quite a few years but were a commercial product used by finish mixing systems in the woodworking and auto body industry. So far I have about 25 and all are in perfect working order and are well used and a few years old.

The lids make a good tight seal to the can on all sizes. They dont really need any cleaning other than a rinse in the sink with water based finishes. For solvent based they clean up easily with very dilute thinners.

I just took some quick pics. You can see the black finish running down the side of the can. This was from pouring the finish without the mixing lid. Im pretty sure we all have cans that look like this. You can see the other can has no drips. The pour spouts are very easy to control the pour without drips. My favorite use is mixing stains and the pour spout makes for very easy accurate pouring. 

I would recommend these to anyone even if you just use pint and quarts. They also work with paint so when painting in your house they are great to fill that roller pan with no mess.

When I saw these in the Rockler email, I thought they looked like they could either be a great idea, or more trouble than they're worth (for clean up, etc.) With this review, I'm putting them in the great idea category and will add a few to my ever expanding wish list.

My concern would be the air seal for me to go through a gal of finish takes months if it skins over useing this expensive lid I would be better off useing a paint stick that I always use. If the Rockler lid makes an air tight seal it would be worth while for me to pick one up. The slideing spout set up is the only thing that I worry about after a couple time pouring finish is the build up of finish going to cause trouble I have a syrup container like this and hate the damn thing the mess from the syrup gums up the sliding spout feature I hope I'm wrong because I like the agitator feature.

My concern would be the air seal for me to go through a gal of finish takes months if it skins over useing this expensive lid I would be better off useing a paint stick that I always use. If the Rockler lid makes an air tight seal it would be worth while for me to pick one up. The slideing spout set up is the only thing that I worry about after a couple time pouring finish is the build up of finish going to cause trouble I have a syrup container like this and hate the damn thing the mess from the syrup gums up the sliding spout feature I hope I'm wrong because I like the agitator feature.

There is no build up and the seal is tight. If you look at the one with the black target finish that one has never been cleaned and has been used for over 100 gallons of em6600 black. The spring is quite strong and the lid slices off any finish on the tip. I have a gallon of arm r seal that has been sitting half full for a year and a half with no skin. Im moving finishing supplies disposing of old stuff out of my warehouse to my home shop and found a can of Rodda precat lacquer that I have no idea how old it is and it appeared to be just fine. Id guess three or four years. Expired but still thin enough to spray.