Hello from Fishtown...

Fishtown Mike

HI,

I'm new member to the forum.

I've been a hobbist for several years.

I got started in wood working during the (ongoing) renovations of my house about 8 years ago.

I needed a custom cabinet for the kitchen, and the estimate I got was more than the whole rest of the builder spec casework cost me.

My brother-in-laws said, "it's a box...you can make boxes".

So hours of New Yankee, countless evening shop hours, and thousands of dollars later here I am...

I don't own a lawnmower, but I own four chainsaws for slabbing bowl blanks...that's me.

My basement shop is somewhat like working in the hold of a boat, so the chippendale highboy is a while off.

I've slowly been adding tools, and I think I'm satisfied with my shop for the near future.

I've attached some pictures of some small project I've made...they were things I've given to school charity auctions or given as gifts.

I don't bother photographing things I keep...

post-13881-0-83468500-1366076895_thumb.jpost-13881-0-68362100-1366076904_thumb.jpost-13881-0-81631600-1366076947_thumb.jpost-13881-0-08981300-1366076965_thumb.j

Cheers! mike.

Nice little table. Maybe a little bit smaller overhang would have helped the proportions? But it looks like you had the courage to build something without plans. Way to many guys just build from plans, taking that leap to working out your own dimensions lets you adjust to building with the available wood.

Welcome to the Forum. Asking questions, answering questions and picking up little tips (you never know when you will need them) goes on a lot here.

Thanks Steve,

Yeah, I agree on that....it was one of the first things I tried from scratch with rough lumber (about 5 years ago).

It looked good on paper to me, and I started into the "Fun Stuff".

Tapering legs, cutting mortices, tapering the table edges, and putting in a little butterfly key to hide a defect in the top.

Got it all together, and said "Yuck, that looks off".

But at least I learned to spend a little more time on the planning, and to pay more attention to layout...plus I don't have to look at it everyday.