Memory Box

prov163

I just finished this Memory Box. It's going to be given (anonymously) to a local family who lost a baby so they have a special place to put their mementos - birth certificate, ID bracelet, etc. I thought about the idea when I was recently reorganizing our important papers and came across the birth and death certificates of the son we lost, realizing we never had a special place for these memories.

Box is 8 3/4" wide x 11 1/2" long with a removable tray. Wood selection was Ambrosia Maple and Honduran Mahogany. Finish is GF Seal a Cell and three coats of poly.

This was my first "hybrid" project incorporating both power and hand tools. It was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. I really came to appreciate hand tools for fine tuning and detail work.

Anyway, this is my first posted project, but not my last. All comments, and suggestions, are welcome.

post-7016-0-66855300-1366854307_thumb.jp

post-7016-0-01339800-1366854323_thumb.jp

post-7016-0-08228900-1366854362_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments guys. A friend of mine has a ministry called Healing Hearts which offers comfort and support to grieving families who've lost babies. Having been on the grieving end of that situation many years ago, I thought this was a way to combine something I love (woodworking) and helping folks through a tough time. I'll be building more of them.

Duck, the top is Honduran Mahogany as kronewi said. I have never used it before but it works very nicely, easy to cut, plane and finish sand. Really liked the contrast with the Ambrosia Maple.

Chet, the top is in a dado inside the mitered frame but not glued. Due to the size, 8 1/2" x 11" overall I left the top 1/16" shy of full dimension in both directions to allow for seasonal movement, but it's still tight enough it doesn't rattle.

A very beautiful outcome and for a purpose that I'm sure will be appreciated.  I especially like the contrasting splines.  It's a look that I use often.

A suggestion for future projects of a similar nature - I would not round over the mating edges of the top and bottom when sanding.  I would instead flat sand them so they have a flush contacting surface.  Just a cleaner look in my opinion.  

None the less, a beautiful job and nice finish.  I wouldn't worry about the fit of the top panel either.  Looks like there's enough allowance for movement.

The chamfers are an interesting story. I originally intended to have a raised bottom, but got overly enthusiastic with my planing (using a new Steel City helical head and had too much fun).  So, the top was raised but the bottom, not so much.  I remember Matt Kenney talking about for a lid not fitting perfectly that a small chamfer will make it look better.  So, I decided to try it on the bottom of the box and really liked it.  THEN, when I was fitting the lid, I used my LN 102 block plane for the first time.  I had sharpened the blade and was loving using it (see note on planer above) and watching those shavings pile up.  Well, since the bottom, the lid mating surfaces were chamfered, hmmmmm, why not the top.  So...

Anyway, while I agree that this is not always the best approach, I liked the final product and the person I gave it to was over the moon, which made me feel great.  More importantly, I learned how to fix a mistake in an eye-pleasing way and feel head over heels in love with my block plane.  

I really appreciate all of the input and advice.  This forum is great for learning and growing, both of which I enjoy!