spalted and oak bench

duckkisser

neither its for my mommie :)  myself and the guys who's shop I used  thought to  use 4 legs but decided to go with single sides.  I like how simple the sides are with a curve at the bottom and the sides of the legs have a slight curve but the simple sides contrast nicely with the curve of the front and the spalted top.

• Like 1

Live edge and natural spalting.  What more could you ask for?  Good choice to go with a straight-up five board bench using solid sides instead of four spindles.

My only critique would be the proportion of sides to top.  Is that 8/4 stock for the sides?  It looks substantially thicker than the top and gives the bench a very heavy feel in these pictures.  A possible fix for the next one:  Had the sides been tapered (i.e. flared out to full 8/4 thickness at the bottom but only 4/4 or so at the top) that would have been cool.

But, context is everything.  Post a picture once it's delivered and let's see how it feels in its final home.  Perhaps it'll go in a place where the heavy base makes better sense than up in the air on a workbench.

I can see having slop or tapered sides but this was easer started Saturday and got it done Sunday so to have it done I had to go with what would be simplest and tapering a 9inch board would be a pain and tom consuming. plus my mom’s taste in furniture tends to run to boxy, darker heavy looking stuff. Large overstuffed chairs and couch. TV stand is square frame, shelves are shadow boxes. Everything is more grounded looking so a smaller or lighter looking bench would be more out of place. I would have liked to have the top thicker but the pieces of wood is what it is can’t add to what i already have. and I guess I the legs could be thinner but it was a kind of get it done project so I could use it as a gift. We were going to make 4 separate legs and then have the top floating above the legs but since its low to the ground and you won’t see the floating top decided to just pocket screw it to the frame.