Exact Width Dado Jig Dust Collection

I've just finished my first exact width dado jig (EWDJ), and I really like it. Quick to setup and easy to position, exact width dados (almost*) every time. I think next time though I'll use some angled aluminum for the fence - straighter than anything I can cut at the moment.

My only problem with it over using my dado stacking set is the amount of dust it chucks around. The regular dust extraction does almost nothing to stop it throwing dust everywhere, but mostly down the dado I just cut. Has anyone figured out a way to collect most/all of the dust this process generates.

I was thinking some kind of router base plate, with a 2 1/2" port mounted pointing straight down so as the tool rides over the EWDJ it collects the dust. I might try it with some 1/4" ply/mdf as the base plate with an extension off to one side. Then glue a piece of 3/4" ply on the extension with a 2 1/2" hole cut all the way through for the hose to plug into. My hole saw makes holes the hose fits into very nicely. I'll make the hole in the center of the base plate with the router bit so very little dust escapes upwards.

Any other suggestions?

* Helps if you tighten both the knobs down!

One of the things you can do is not start at the edge of the board but plunge in a short distance from the edge.  That way the chips can't come shooting out the slot.  There's two problems with this, if you want the dado to go all the way to the edge you have to go back, and a lot of straight bits aren't designed to plunge so you have to sort of ramp in as you plunge which is one more thing to worry about.

I do not know what your table is like but I would envision a solution that is either a channeled down draft or a complete downdraft working surface. For a channeled downdraft I'd slice a length of PVC 6" in half length wise to create a trough beneath the table in line with your dado feed. I'd drill holes in the table in line with the trough and try to evacuate dust this way.