PerezM

Naphtha vs. VM & P Naphtha

What is the difference between naphtha and VM & P naphtha?

I need to thin spar varnish but only have regular naphtha, and wanted to know if there was a difference.

Thanks,

Mike

One is cleaner than the other sorta like odorless mineral spirits which is more pure and wont have any residual oils that can cause you finishing issues.

-Ace-

Vm&p is low flash. Then there is high flash. Low flash dries fast. High flash dries slower. Some high flash are really medium flash. SW makes a few different types as does most every manufacturer. The differences are the flash points.

Vm&p is low flash. Then there is high flash. Low flash dries fast. High flash dries slower. Some high flash are really medium flash. SW makes a few different types as does most every manufacturer. The differences are the flash points.

In finishing the spoken word of "flash" actually is to how fast a solvent flashes off. So if a solvent flashes off, it's meant to how quickly it flashes off or evaporates. Not to be confused with flash point. So if a solvent flashes off fast, means it drys faster.

-Ace-

In finishing the spoken word of "flash" actually is to how fast a solvent flashes off. So if a solvent flashes off, it's meant to how quickly it flashes off or evaporates. Not to be confused with flash point. So if a solvent flashes off fast, means it drys faster.

-Ace-

Nope. In terms of naphtha its flash point. Walk into a SW ask for high flash and that's what you get.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home-builders/products/catalog/high-flash-naphtha-100-r2k5/

Same with most other like gemini

http://www.geminicoatings.com/p/12148/Default.aspx

Nope. In terms of naphtha its flash point. Walk into a SW ask for high flash and that's what you get.http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home-builders/products/catalog/high-flash-naphtha-100-r2k5/

Same with most other like geminihttp://www.geminicoatings.com/p/12148/Default.aspx

Your not understanding my comment, read it again. High Flash is a marketing name for SW retarder. Not talking flash point. it's flash off.

-Ace-

Your not understanding my comment, read it again. High Flash is a marketing name for SW retarder. Not talking flash point. it's flash off.

-Ace-

No not understanding. Naphtha is rated by flash point. Flash off is used to discribe evaporation rate. Vm&p is low flash, fast flash off. High flash is high flash, slow flash off.

I'm glad I don't care, because now I'm more confused than ever.  :blink:

Ok....VM&P...use it for paints. Regular old naphtha use it for cleaning and such, not as refined of a product as VM&P. They have fast dry and slow dry VM&P but not sure how to tell if your pick-up a small can at the box store for doing dumb stuff around the house?

If you go to a paint supplier they can sort that out for you as to fast and slow dry. More of a concern of a professional finisher/painter.

-Ace-

I'm glad I don't care, because now I'm more confused than ever.  :blink:

How it applies to the OP question. VM&P is fast evaporating so using it to reduce the viscosity of spar may or may not help eliminate brush marks or make it flow better depending on working conditions. High flash evaporates three times slower so if its warm out and you mix it with spar you have a longer working time. Generally VM&P is good for spraying and high flash is better for hand work.

I used regular naphtha and VM&P naphtha and the VM&P remained tacky.

It had less fumes, but drying took longer.

I mixed it with varnish.

What I have is a birch guitar that I stain yellow, dissolved with denatured alcohol.

I wanted  spray free application, so I opted to use spar varnish that was oil based.

Finding oil based here in California? Good luck.

I am thinking of thinning the varnish with naphtha and rubbing the finish onto the guitar.

On several test, I used naphtha and VM&P naphtha.

So far the 'regular' naphtha worked best, as it evaporated faster and left the varnish harder.
I tried one test with boiled linseed oil added to the mix, and that was okay only on the mix that had regular naphtha.

So far the two best have been Formby's Tung Oil, and McClosky's Spar Varnish thinned 50/50 with 'regular'naphtha.

I am rubbing them in with old t-short material.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest Tony

Late to the party but here is some more info.

Here is SDS sheet for the Sherwin Williams "High Flash Naphtha 100" mentioned above.
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/document/SDS/en/764423000206/US/
It shows a flash point of 105.8 °F and an evaporation rate of 0.53 where butyl acetate = 1.

Here is SDS sheet for Nexeo VM&P Naphtha
http://hillbrothers.com/pdf/downloads/msds/sds/n/vmp-naphtha-sds.pdf
It shows a flash point of 57 - 68.9 °F and an evaporation rate of 0.987 where butyl acetate = 1.

So, VM&P Naphtha evaporates almost twice as fast as high flash naphtha.