Will this jig work for dovetails?

Egraff

Hello All,

I've never used a dovetail bit in my router table before, so before I go out and buy one, I want to check to see if this will work.

I've used this jig (see below) with great success with a straight bit for cutting box joints on my router table....  If I simply replace the straight bit with a dovetail bit, will it make dovetails?  Or do I need to adjust the jig for some reason that I am missing?

The jig:  

Thanks!

- EG

While the idea seems sound, the difference between a dovetail and a finger joint is that in a finger joint the mating sides are essentially the same cut while in a dove tail one cut is at 90d to the other.  The best looking dovetails also typically aren't evenly spaced like a finger joint although if you use a dovetail jig to do it they are.

It won't work.  Think about it...you'll be cutting tails in both boards...where are the pins?  Like Byrdie said, they won't go together at 90*, they'll only go together laying flat.

The Incra router table (what I use) is a good example of why it wouldn't work.  It uses only a dovetail bit, unlike a traditional jig which uses a dovetail bit for the tails and a straight bit for the pins.  On the Incra, the tail boards are cut just like those box joints.  But the pin boards are different...for through dovetails, the pins are a two-step process: first they're run 90* to the table, just like the tails, then they're laid flat and pushed into the bit using a stop set just at the back of the bit, which turns the tails into pins.  For half-blinds, only the second step is necessary.  Through dovetails are considerably more difficult to set up on the Incra than half-blinds.

That jig would take more work to get it to cut dovetails than it would to cut them by hand. Then again, in the hands of a skilled person, handcut dovetails can be done in the blink of an eye.

If you are so inclined to make a jig for the table saw to cut dovetails, look at this:

Detailed, and a little complicated, but I would imagine it to be fun to build. Once you get it set up to your liking, I'd imagine you could batch out a lot of dovetails with this method.

Thank you all for your responses....  I completely see what you mean.... I should have seen that initially.  

Clearly this is the first time I've given thought to dovetails.  

But you've saved me quite a bit of potential frustration! 

BTW, @pghmyn:

That table saw jig is VERY cool!!!  Thanks for sharing the video.  Maybe one day I'll build it!  I bet it would be a fun little project.