Grizzly Workshop layout

Milo

Has anyone out there successful used the Grizzly Workshop layout website?

I asked because it just seems the tools available are HUGE compared to floorspace.  I wish there was a way adjust the tools sized to my tools.

I know, I know, there is always pen and paper.

But I'm lazy, and my handwriting stinks. ;)

Feedback?

Thanks!

Milo

I tried their tool and didn't care for it either.

In the end, I ended up just getting some graph paper and drawing the room.  From there, I actually made small cutouts of the tools so that I could move them around my drawing without redrawing every time I wanted to move something. 

Ok, so my kids made the tool cutouts, not me :)

I can recommend sketchup. I used it to design my new shop. There are loads of pre-drawn tool models (some generic and some actual) in the 3D warehouse and it makes it easy to position things. Also make sure you download the 3D person too as you can see the ergonomics making sure you can reach things and walk around things using the 3D person as a sense of scale.

Once you have played around with Sketchup you will then find yourself using it for design too. It has a gentle learning curve and you can use it straight out of the box (so to speak) :) .

Terrymck is spot on. I'm building a new shop and using sketchup. If I couldn't find a comparable tool in the warehouse I just made a shape and labeled it. Make a check list of all your stuff. Import everything outside the room and then start bringing it in. One thing that would have been helpful would to have made a copy or 2 of my layouts. I went back and forth a couple times arranging tools. A copy would have sped up a redo or 2.

I used the Grizz shop layout tool very briefly.  As Bob C mentioned above, you can change the size of an object pretty easily. It was OK but I'd rather use graph paper and little cutouts as TIODS did.

I quickly switched to Sketchup and would highliy recommend it.  I am very much a SU novice but I was able to put together a shop space and layout pretty quickly.  The availability of models in the warehouse is pretty good.  I started with an 'as-is' and then worked my way through several layout options.  Where it really shines IMO  is being able to look at it from different viewpoints in 3D to see where the relative heights of tools are with respect to each other.  This helps with planning infeed and outfeed spaces for some tools such as bandsaws, tablesaws, jointers, and miter saws.

Well, this is aggrevating.   I've tried resizing the tools on the Grizzly shop planner, but the changes to the tool sizes don't stick.

I need to walk away before I too frustrated.

Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I found out that the only objects that can be manipulated are the standard squares and small objects at the bottom of the selections that are offered. Saw, dust collectors, ect are all stuck at the size offered.

Still, even with the generic shapes it worked out nicely for getting a rough idea where I could put items.