My new Shooting board

Llama

That's probably the most important jig in the handtool workshop - I use mine all the time.

The biggest problem I had was getting the fence square. Mine wasn't. I saw that David Charlesworth (I keep wanting to write Charles Davidworth) uses paper shims, so I took that idea, but using a small board screwed to the fence. I pack out the board till it's square then carefully screw down - not too tight, not too loose.

Before you mangle your right hand pushing that #7 on thicker boards, consider building a hotdog next - you can see the 'double' fence on my shooting board in the last couple of photos. Though as you can see, my hotdog came out more of a hamburgher!

John

+1 for a hotdog...I made a shooting board from leftover birch ply gave up using it, Stanley 5 1/2 jack plane just too uncomfortable to hold and despite my best efforts sharpening would not plane end grain well...alternatively you could get a nice LN plane with hot dog :-) or take my approach and buy a Veritas LA jack! Not a cheap option but saved me making a hot dog.

My quangsheng (Woodriver) jack is perfect for thin whispy end grain shavings, i haven't made a shooting board yet but this is the plane i will dedicate to it. I have tool OCD so i will be getting the veritas bevel up jack to complement the jointer and smoother :)

Its long overdo for me to make one myself. Not just for 90 degrees, but also one for 45s as well.

The plans I got from the magazine call for a 45 degree block to be added. There is a bolt with a knob that tightens things down.

I can let you know the issue number if you want.