Garage shop demo and remodel

Freddie

Hey guys, 

I finally started the process of gutting my garage shop to insulate, wire, and fully close the work space to control temperature and humidity. RIght now, it is disgustingly hot and humid with no insulation or ac. I will be installing a full ceiling and a door at the end of the hall. This will fully enclose the shop area. Probably will end up going with an epoxy floor. 

Definite plans include-

-2x8 ceiling joists, 12oc for the 12.5' wide span of the shop

-2x8 ceiling joists, 16oc for the 10' and under spans

- R-19 in the ceilings

- R-13 in the 2x4 walls

- 5/8" drywall

- sub panel installed in garage

- ductless mini split with heat pump

Sorry about the narrow frame in the video, I held my phone upright. Next one will be easier to watch hopefully. 

Looks like you're going to have some fun with that header..

Shame you didn't live closer!  I'd cut you a sweet deal on an insulated garage door that would fit right in.

Over all, looks like a fun project!  Will be exactly what you want in the end.

Freddie, since you are stripping everything back to the studs, I would consider putting a layer of sound board on the walls between the garage and the living area, and then cover it with drywall. That will help with the complaints when you work late. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Freddie, since you are stripping everything back to the studs, I would consider putting a layer of sound board on the walls between the garage and the living area, and then cover it with drywall. That will help with the complaints when you work late. :rolleyes:

+1 to TR, great suggestion!  I would add tho that using a lathing strip between the sound board and the drywall will add to the sound proofing. 

If you want to get really crazy on the sound proofing, use double drywall (misalign the seams between layers) on one wall, then the sound board (with lathing strip and drywall) on the opposite wall. Dissimilar material on opposite walls improve the sound proofing and cut down on standing waves.

As my shop was built as a recording studio, it was built like this.  I can fire up all my machines at once and the family can't hear a thing.

Yes I was definitely planning to replace that door because garage doors are huge offenders of energy loss and moisture. Which doors do you prefer, I am not too familiar with this part of the process, thanks.

Check with local dealers in your area.  There are too many to list and I've only tried one.  A "poor mans" option would be some pink rigid insulation with some sound board laminated to it.  Just cut and glue in place.  Keeps it light as well as giving you some insulation and sound proofing.

• Like 1

I got into the garage for a few hours after work tonight. I finished ripping out the front section of the garage sheetrock, bagged it and put it out to the curb. I will dedicate a day this weekend to hopefully finish the demo and get ready to start framing the ceiling. That snap-on box is going to be for sale if anyone is interested ;)

post-3732-0-37312400-1374805642_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-30368100-1374805654_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-71775200-1374805658_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-31374000-1374805663_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-89741800-1374805674_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-89176300-1374805679_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry there has been no progress on here. In the middle of the demo I got the call to build two teak cabinets for a customer. I am a full time carpenter, so I am limited to a few hours a night on the cabinets, so things are going slow. I will be shortly updating the cabinet build in the progress journal forum. I got a few hours in this evening and got all my case parts cut out. Since I have to leave things unattended in the garage a day or two at a time, I clamp my parts together or to my box beam levels. So far this has proven to be very successful. All the case parts are flat. In the past I have had the quality ply from the same dealer left leaning against the wall in the garage, and the pieces bend and bow. My sister is going away to college again on saturday and she needed a small piece of ply for a turntable platform. I had some quarter sawn sapele laying around that started to do the limbo, and cut the shelf from the straightest part possible. I cannot wait until I can get this garage finished so that I dont have to wipe all my cast iron and lie nielsen tools down with jajoba oil every day so I dont find more rust.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh boy I wish  it were going faster than it was haha. I can't seem to catch a break. For as long as I can remember, I have been putting in 80+ hours a week. By the time I come home from work it's time to go to bed. When will these projects be done!

I hear that! But you gotta get the hours when you can, right? Definitely find a specialty supplier on the door, I got one that was hurricane and impact rated as well as being insulated and it makes a huge difference. Reduces noise, keeps heat out - a big plus! Since you are doing from walls in take the time to focus on your electrical before you wall up again. Put in more than you will need, maybe leave some conduit piped from the sub to some empty boxes in case you need something you can't even imagine yet ;-)

Are you rerocking or panelling?

Haha yes of course, I hate doing inside corners! This is an attached garage so even though we do not park cars I still want to make this garage meet code with 5/8" sheetrock, taped and spackled. I have a few ideas for the finishes but I have not settled on one yet. I want the shop to be cozy and inspiring to work in.