Garage shop demo and remodel

Freddie

I also wanted to point out, I watched this and I need to learn how to be more personable on camera haha. Can't ya tell I'm new at this!!!

pfffshh - bro, you got a lot of personality if you came home from jury duty and still vlogged for us, lol. That big change in humidity is exactly why I bring in my project lumber into my house during the summer for a couple of weeks, to let the wood react to the drier indoor air. Then its back in the shop to be milled and project assembled. When its done, back in the house!

The tools stay in the garage, as long as they are covered, rust is kept to a minimum and the handles stay tight ;-)

Are you going to let your framing acclimate? Just messin' 

Sam's probably going to start talking about tables again ...

I've seen plenty worse videos made by some that think it's their bread and butter.  Nothing wrong with being matter of fact.  At least you're clear and concise and know what you want to say.  Everything comes with time.  Look how far Graham's gotten on his bench build.  His recent videos are pretty good and he actually speaks!

• Like 2

Sam's probably going to start talking about tables again ...

I've seen plenty worse videos made by some that think it's their bread and butter. Nothing wrong with being matter of fact. At least you're clear and concise and know what you want to say. Everything comes with time. Look how far Graham's gotten on his bench build. His recent videos are pretty good and he actually speaks!

• Like 1

I packed away all my hand tools in my apt yesterday because we were babysitting my two yr old godson. All of my chisel handles fell off when i picked them up. It is really amazing what a controlled enviroment will do to wood that was taken out of a harsh humid garage!

• Like 1

I found an article on fine woodworking when Mike Peckovich redid his shop to insulate it. I loved the carriage doors he built which featured foam insulation. I want to run this by my father before I go ahead and take the old doors down, if it's a go then this is the route I will take for the doors. I also want to get in the shop tomorrow after work and take some measurements, because I want to see if I can possibly go with just an overhead storage pad in the back section of the garage, and leave the rest of the ceiling high. This will allow me to raise the floor without my hair rubbing on the ceiling. Also talked to my dad about helping me do some framing in the garage next weekend, so by the latest we will be getting to it by the weekend. We have had a super busy schedule and have not been able to get into the garage at all. The cold weather is coming soon so I do not have much of a choice if I plan to work in the garage this winter.

Ok, so after work my dad and I went into the garage and came up with a pretty good game plan. First, I will build my own insulated carriage doors, eliminating the garage door and tracks. I am really excited about eliminating those annoying tracks and door motor. I planned to keep the ceiling for the first 20 ft of the garage at 11 feet. The room in the back of the garage will be the over head storage for my moms decorations. I will make it closable to keep the shop sealed and dust off the decorations. Since I am saving on all the lumber I originally intended for the ceiling, I will be doing a wood floor like the article recently featured on the wood whisperer site. 2x4 sleepers, 16 o.c., 1.5" foam insulation, 6mil vapor barrier, and 3/4" plywood floor. Of course, part of the original plan included ductless mini with reverse pump, and dehumidifier. Starting in the evenings this week and this weekend, can't wait!!!

post-3732-0-88156500-1383009968_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-49584800-1383009973_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-90890800-1383009977_thumb.jp

First step shop remodel, custom built insulated carriage doors. I ordered the 20" strap hinges tonight. Doors will be air tight when closed, and have a R value of 13. Insulated glass will let light into the shop while giving the outside of the house a nice appearance. Internal frame is offset laminated ply forming bridle joints, skinned with ply to create a stable, flat and non sagging door. The new doors will eliminate the old garage tracks inside giving me total headroom of the 11' ceilings and more spread on lighting. Ahhhh yeah!!!

post-3732-0-89778800-1383108926_thumb.jp

-Make sure they are square & seal and paint the top and bottom edges before you hang them.

Duhh Steve haha. I am soo excited about this, I cant wait to start. First things first, court today, my jury duty case begins. Slip n fall at a supermarket, happened oct 2008, this should be fun today.

I had to replace so many doors that had rotted out and most had no finish on the top or bottom edges. So I just toss out the idea of finishing the edges any time door hanging comes up.

My county seems to think jurors time has little value. You miss work and income and they give you about $20 a day. Although it's a financial burden it can be entertaining , lawyers come up with the most outrageous arguments for the stupidest claims. Have fun!

• Like 1

I had to replace so many doors that had rotted out and most had no finish on the top or bottom edges. So I just toss out the idea of finishing the edges any time door hanging comes up.

My county seems to think jurors time has little value. You miss work and income and they give you about $20 a day. Although it's a financial burden it can be entertaining , lawyers come up with the most outrageous arguments for the stupidest claims. Have fun!

Same here! I got just about $20 a day, too. They rationalized it by saying that it was enough to feed you for that day.

Yeah, but what about the other $200 I miss out on for not being at work?

LOL

You got $40 because you live in NY and lose the other half to the tax "men" you know FICA, State, Federal. So I guess you really only get $20 right?

Nice doors!!! What color are you going to paint them? A suggestion for safety, put some type of black out cloth on the inside so when you are not home, people can't scope out your shop!!!

Thanks Chop, the outside of the doors will be white to maintain the outside appearance of the house, and the inside I am not sure if I will leave the 1/4" birch skin natural or paint. Natural might be a nice touch. As for privacy on the windows, you're right, I was planning on something for sure but not committed to anything yet.

Something simple, a wooden dowel on top, a length of black out cloth (think thick curtains), stitch a pocket on the top to hang off of the top dowel, stitch a pocket at the bottom and put another dowel through it to act as a weight to keep it stretched down. When in the shop roll it up and use a hook to hold it up. Cheap and easy, right ;)

• Like 1