changes to the original design

Hi guys.....I made some changes to the design , that I would like to share with you , so far I put the case together with 9 fingers on each corner , and instead of making grooves for the bottom, I made it a frame and panel so that I gain some depth , and it will attach to the front , back and sides with screws through the bottom. I assamble the case with screws but no glue , would like your opinion on this. I am attaching some pictures

post-14376-0-33126100-1376068988_thumb.j

post-14376-0-27508800-1376069004_thumb.j

post-14376-0-94844400-1376069176_thumb.j

• Like 1

I did the same during the week, my panels are not cut yet but my template look like this. I have no idea for the bottom yet, I didn't realise the depth was small until the video comments post.

I think rabbet around the mittered deck and sit the plywood on it would be a good idea. Will gain 1" 1/4 or something, not sure I would go al the way to the bottom anyway.

post-5361-0-37916300-1376148094_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Someone else mentioned a very simple alternative where you simply make the deck and the bottom piece out of one piece of plywood. The plywood would be edge-banded to give the appearance of a mitered frame. And the case would simply sit on top of this panel. Screws up through the panel and into the case would secure it in place. This would gain you about 2" of interior depth.

We are considering creating a model showing this as a quick and easy alternative.

• Like 1

We are considering creating a model showing this as a quick and easy alternative.

PLEASE do.  Not totally following what you're describing.  

What I was trying to do in Sketchup, but struggling with, was to simply increase the height of the case assembly.  Adding about 3 inches total by adding 1 each at each finger 'zone' if you will.  Will also need to re-think plug placement.  I was also thinking about doubling the height of the lid to make stronger for sitting; so all this additional height to the overall assembly is good from a sitting perspective.

I think that I will make a frame about two  inches in height out of three quarter of an inch secondary wood sandwiched between the plywood bottom and the mitered deck , where the case will sit on , that will give me a two and three quarter inches of extra depth in addition to the width of the panels , that in my case will be eighteen and a half inches total depth , and will provide me with a solid area to attach the base to.....and of course omit the frame and panel idea that I mention earlier.what are your thoughts on this?

I will post  pictures probably tonight after I finish it

On second thought I will not use secondary wood , but mahogany , also I will make the base about one eight od an inch less in heigth than this assembly , so the weight of the case will be borne by the bottom an not the base giving the ilussion that the chest is floating of the ground  and if I make it with straps a la Darrel peart it will appear as if it was being hoisted...any way I lost a little sleep last night so I wanted to write it down before I forget it.

Someone else mentioned a very simple alternative where you simply make the deck and the bottom piece out of one piece of plywood. The plywood would be edge-banded to give the appearance of a mitered frame. And the case would simply sit on top of this panel. Screws up through the panel and into the case would secure it in place. This would gain you about 2" of interior depth.

Will you still be showing this method? I don't know about edge banding? you cut thin pieces and glue on?

I watched the current video. and not sure if I should assemble the deck , or put rabbet joints in before glue up

No, I won't be demonstrating the alternative base option. It would be a simplified version of the build and would actually require less work. Once you have the SketchUp drawing of this alternative version, it should be pretty self-explanatory. And of course you have me and the rest of the forum here to help out if you get stuck.

• 3 weeks later...

So here's a n00b question - I'm planning on changing the original design somewhat too (rabbeting the case inside bottoms for my base) - my question is - how deep to make the rabbets?  Obviously, they will be rabbeted far enough that the plywood fits flush with the bottom, but for strength - would any of you recommend screwing the plywood base up into the sides/front/back, or just gluing it in place?

Also - I'm thinking of opening a beautiful dark, richly colored mahogany blanket chest and having a light colored plywood bottom (maple?  Birch?) to brighten the inside somewhat.  Probably redundant since it will be filled usually with blankets or whatever, but I think it would look nice and perhaps even cleaner to have a light colored interior base.  Any thoughts?

There was talk of sketchup plans being made for a rabbeted bottom - did these ever materialize?  I couldn't find them from anywhere I looked...  Probably user error!

There was talk of sketchup plans being made for a rabbeted bottom - did these ever materialize?  I couldn't find them from anywhere I looked...  Probably user error!

Blizz, we updated the main plans to include an alternate version. This version has the bottom panel combined with the deck, and the original bottom was eliminated.  There are no rabbets though.  The deck/bottom is still attached with cleats like the version Marc is building.

• 3 weeks later...

PlayasTeo

I am new to the forum and to The Guild as well. I am in the process of building the blanket chest. I saw somewhere yesterday, here I think, of a finished chest and think they were your pictures but can't find them again. I haven't figured out yet how to navigate around here. I'm not much w/ computers! Anyway, the pics I saw were of a chest that used the alternate panel/frame method and they showed the interior of the case and there were exposed cleats (for lack of a better word) around the inside bottom of the case. Were these your pics, as I have a question about the cleats