Getting there

PlayasTeo

O.K...... I am finish with the project , it is all ready resting in its place............ all and all I am pleased with the results , here are some views of it , I hope that I do not bore you with them.

Marc it has been a pleasure working with you and absorbing some of your expertise , Thank you very much!

Teo

post-14376-0-01138800-1379956567_thumb.j

post-14376-0-86658000-1379956575_thumb.j

post-14376-0-34968900-1379956583_thumb.j

post-14376-0-18145600-1379956593_thumb.j

post-14376-0-28319100-1379956602_thumb.j

post-14376-0-33175000-1379956612_thumb.j

post-14376-0-17613600-1379956620_thumb.j

Nice to see it finish, I started the straps jigs yesterday. I have to do a review of Bessey toggle clamps, so I'm working on jigs right now. As for the glossy, I have none applied so far only stain, and I just put my danish oil 2-3 days ago. I still want a better protection over it. I will probably go for a satin or semi-gloss look not sure yet.

I only got 2 hinges, I see you used 3 (and Marc too). the 60lbs one, you think 2 is enough or you need 3 for the weight ?

I like the handles look (even if they have no purpose). I have done the template, that's my next step before I attack the lid ;)

Did you made the splines larger than 3/8 ?

I would go for three hinges for sure , on the anarchist tool chest that I built I used only two hinges and one broke fairly soon , probably because sometimes I would open the lid from one corner rather than from the center. this lid is much bigger , so I don't want to run any chances.

I like the handles look also , I may make them and attach them later.....the splines are the same as the plugs , 3/8"

Playas,

On your 1st Sept. 23rd post, the 5th pic shows the inside of the case. The wood that extends inside the case around the bottom, is that to give you more wood to screw the bottom to, instead of trying to screw into the 3/4" panels? 

K cooper,

I'll bet I can answer that. It looks like he made the same mistake that I did by following the videos sequentially and cutting the dados for the bottom, only to discover the new plan of lowering the bottom by installing it into the face frame. I thought about filling the dados with something that doesn't look like a mistake.

Hi K cooper....actually if you look in the thread "changes to the original design" , in the posting I did on 11th of August I mentioned this....I did not want to reduce the size of the deck , so it would not become too flimsy....if you read the whole thread you will find that I documented the whole procedure that I would follow.

Thanks Playas. I went back and read and understand now. Two more questions: 1) The "straps" look pretty darn cool. You mentioned Darrel Peart; is that where you got the idea and is there a site where I can learn to make them? 2) I see you are using 3 of Rocklers hinges. I mentioned to Marc that I am making my chest from pecan and it's very heavy wood and that the lid w/ bb ends weigh about 22 lbs. and re suggested that I may have to use 4 hinges. Do you have any idea how much your lid weighs?

Hi K COOPER.... I do not know how much the lid weights , but regardless , use three hinges by all means....I did mentioned before that I had made the anarchist tool chest the it's much smaller and one of the hinges broke. so don't risk it.

The book is "in the Greene & Greene style : projects and details for the woodworker"...Amazon has them http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=darrel%20peart&sprefix=darrel+pea%2Caps%2C389

Thanks Playas - All of my pieces are ready for assembly this weekend. I'm going to Woodcraft now for the rabbiting bit for the bb end on the lid. Have never done that before. Wish me luck. Will wait till I get Peart's book before applying the finish cause I really like the straps. Thanks for yours and Carl's help and mucho thanks to Marc. That guys a great instructor!

You are welcome ,happy to help........I'll try to describe how I made the straps without making the jigs that Darrel calls for in his book:

1:) Cut the material to width in sufficient  length and make the cove in the table saw.

2:) cut the individual pieces about an 1/8" longer than the height of the base.

3:) I used my belt/disk combination to sand the upper cove as to match the longer cove , also round the sides lengthwise to make it look nice.

4:) Make a mark about 5/16" from the side of both coves along the length and width of the piece , in the corner where this lines meet you are going to drill a hole about 5/32" so that it gives you the radius that you put on the top of the base

the picture will show you this

5:) set the fence of your band saw to cut on the waste side of the lines, you will end up with the L shape of the straps.

6:) Sand the inside where it touches the base and round the outside edges.

7:) Now you are ready to glue them up.

Make sure you cut enough material to be ready to waste 2 or 3 pieces in the setup process , if not more.

I am convince that making the jigs would have taken me longer than the time I spend making the straps and did not have to buy any router bits or hardware.

Hope this helps.

post-14376-0-18158300-1380907411_thumb.j

post-14376-0-34661300-1380907420_thumb.j

post-14376-0-57142700-1380907428_thumb.j

post-14376-0-85186600-1380907435_thumb.j

post-14376-0-71175400-1380907442_thumb.j

post-14376-0-74000000-1380907449_thumb.j

That's pretty darn cool. You said to make the piece about 1/8' longer than the height of the base which means that the final thickness of the outside edge is approx. 1/8", right?

What size stock did you start with? 

Final width is what?

In the 1st pic, the sides look concave and in others, they look straight. Is that just an illusion due to the cove?

Sorry for all the questions and I do appreciate your help

I believe my jig is 2", I did it 2 weeks ago, dont even remember :)  It's in my video review, I did 2 jigs one for the front curve and one for the side curve on the router table.

I got time to work this weekend ! It doesnt look much, but it was quite long. I started working the handles too

post-5361-0-26112800-1381170834_thumb.jp

My right arm was killing me sunday, I did enough for now ;) Maybe I should not use my big dewalt drill, its heavy but goes faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzeKmTV4k_E

It's only 2 templates with the side curve and the top curve that hold with clamps. So I will be able to put the blocks in there and do them fast.

I did route the handles yesterday, it went really bad, my core box bit is not long like Marc has in his video, ist more a ball and made a bad curve on the handle, and the handle was bouncing like crazy my curve was not perfect with my template, result are quite bad. I might redo them. Really annoying part.

I might try the old Tom Sawyer painting the fence trick (for those old enough to remember). I'll act like I'm having a great time and maybe my wife will want to make them for me! I used to take her dove hunting with me until she found that I was only taking her to shag birds for me.

The straps are 2" wide.....when I saw the procedure for the handles I knew I wasn't going to make them like that , if I decide to put them on I will probably carve the core section with gouges.

K COOPER and Carl , I would like to see how you are coming along  with your projects.....upload pictures of them.

Guys,

As I mentioned, mine is being made of pecan, similar in grain and color to hickory, with walnut plugs. As I really like the straps, do you suppose that if I make them from walnut as well, that they would stand out too much? Playas, my "In The Greene & Greene Style" book just arrived (darn fast del.) and you're right, your method looks much easier than trying to set up a jig. I'm gonna try the cove thing tonight. Thanks for the tip! I'll take some pics tonight and get someone in my office help me upload them.