Getting there

PlayasTeo

Not much update here, the ebony plugs took the weekend. I was able to "recover" my handles after a lots of sanding, still missing some. I have a really bad part (other side, you dont see in the picture) but I will put it under. Good enough for now, I just need to make sure they look similar now, some part got some serious sanding :)

The breadboard / lid is the big next step this weekend then, I will be almost done ! 

post-5361-0-28314200-1381324121_thumb.jp

Carl, If there's a "bad" part of these handles, it sure doesn't show! Those look great. I'm gonna forgo the handles. I just need to get this project finished. I'm enjoying it and there have been some neat challenges but I'm anxious to put a finish on it and put it to use. I worked on the cove for the straps and cut the strips for the plugs last nite. 

Carl, Looking good. I had a bit of a bow in my lid and had to rip it and re-glue and that did the trick. I put the third coat of Danish oil on everything last night. Now to wait 72 hours to put the satin lacquer coats on. It's going to seem strange not working on it for 3 days. I need to get my grandkids to show me how to post pics.

My lid has a small bow too, i think it will get away with it when I put the breadboard, its not that much. (Hopefully), me too now I am waiting my danish oil to get dry, its still tacky right now. I only put one coat of danish oil. Does 3 coats make a difference ? (I plan to put lacquer)

Did you wipe the Danish oil off after you applied it? I didn't one time and it took forever to dry. I find that the extra coats make the wood a little darker and it also gives it a deeper finish. On the first coat, I flood the area and keep it wet for about 30 min., then wipe it dry. The other 2 coats I keep wet for about 15 min. and then wipe dry. Not sure if that is the correct way, but has always worked for me. Then after 3 days, I'll put on a couple of coats of brushing lacquer. 

Playas, could you provide any insight into the two-tiered plugs you installed on the front that span the breadboard and top?

I can't seem to find anyone talking about that. Also, what are your feelings on movement when using those plugs? I'd think that would anchor the breadboard to the front. That being so, all that work to allow it to move would be defeated in my mind.

Thanks for any feedback.