Box fan CFM?

rodger.

I've got a 20" pointing out of a window which is pointing out over my back yard, and the window is right by where I tend to work. I've got it on a timer switch so it'll switch off a few hours after I finish working. I'm still finding fine dust all over the shop on my tools and the floor. I guess that's just the way it is.

RPCV, around 1000 cfpm for most quiet high efficiency systems. The biggest difference is that home blowers are throttled due to an attempt to keep noise levels down. You can get squirrel cages for commercial carpet dryers that move more than 3000 but they also make conversation almost impossible.

How much CFM does a typical box fan move? Is one enough for an open faced spray booth in a garage?

Simple answer is no not even close. To make an open faced booth with high micron filtration you will need a full wall of box fans riveted or bolted together. This will only work it you use the right filters. Pleated HVAC filters will not work you need the one with fibers.  4 or 5 fans high and wide would make a nice booth. Keep in mind all this is going to do is clear the booth. Garages generally don't have good flow. If you have a side window for example your better off just adding two walls and using the window as the exhaust wall. Put your fan wall in front of the window and seal it to the two side walls. Take a look at a real spray booth or exhaust wall you will get the idea it real simple.