LA jack benefits

Tony Wilkins

I have my shooting board all ready and tried using it with what planes I have. With my LV 5 1/4 it tended to catch a lot and chatter. It works well with my only BU plane but unfortunately that a joiner. It's long enough that I have to stand clear on the pull back.

I'm open to suggestions of technique to use the BD Jack more efficiently.

I was also thinking of tool options. I know there are new and highly effective shooting planes on the market now but I think I'm a little new in woodworking to go for that one trick pony.

So I got to thinking of a BU jack plane. I' know that it's main benefit is versatility. However, I've got a smoother, jack, and joiner so would it be of much help in addition to those planes?

What is my best route going forward?

Dangerous bonus question: my one LN plane experience was less than comfortable and my LV planes have all fit me quite well, however I really like the package and adjustements of the LN? Is there much difference between them?

TIA, Tony

There's not much difference except appearance...they're both high quality tools.

A low angle plane is going to be much better for planing end grain...and that's pretty much all it's good for unless you have other blades with higher angle bevels.  I bought the LN62 specifically for shooting.  It's a versatile plane but I bought it for only one purpose.

I use my LN #62 for almost everything. Very versatile plane. It's the most comfortable plane I've ever used. :)

More to the point... The plane is not necessarily meant for only shooting or end grain. It's just good at it! And the blade comes with the bevel set at the right angle for it. As Eric stated, the plane excels in other areas depending on which bevel angle you use.

Marc did a great video of this point. There is also an article by Chris Becksvort in FWW about it.

Being a hand tool only guy, you may grow tired switching blades in order to make it work well in other areas.

I'd say get one. It's the best purchase I've made in a long time. :)

If I get the LN #62, should I get the whole package with all the blades and the hotdogs?

I'd say no. I don't use a hotdog. No need for it.

The blades are around $50 each, and you really only need two more. So, basically $350 and your done. Lot less than the $500 or so the set is. That's my logic... I am ordering one more blade soon, for a higher angle for smoothing. I may or may not order a tooth blade.

Tony, both the LN and LV LA jacks make very nice shooters. The biggest benefit, much more than the low angle, is the ergonomics of gripping them on there sides. There is no frog in the way...they are just much easier to hold that way.  I own the LV version, and have also used the LN version side by side with it in my friends shop. Both are lovely planes.  I think if you get the LN the hotdog is worthwhile. Required? No, but it gives your palm much more to register on, which is helpful when you are shooting something a bit wider or thicker the the usual...you can get more power more comfortably.  I've been asking LV to make a hotdog for quite some time. Even though the LV has a bit more of a "built-in" grip than the LN for shooting, I still would love to have a hotdog for it. I should make my own...I know Derek, has a couple writeups on making hotdogs..but I'm lazy so I just keep bothering LV and asking them to make me one  :)

Far as blades go, I'd start with two (well actually only have 1 as I just use mine for shooting). But two would be good, one for a low shooting angle, and one for really high angle. Your standard angle BD planes have you covered for most the wood you'll need to work.

Having used them side by side, I would say that the LN is a little nicer to use as a utility plane, for trimming and general purpose smoothing because its smaller, lighter, and personally I find the tote more comfortable.  I would say the LV is a nicer shooter, and also small jointer/general purpose plane for straightening and some amount of flattening because its heavier, wider, longer, and and has a set back mouth.

They really are very different feeling planes, however, at the end of the day the difference in what each excels at more then the other are pretty minimal.  Both do well at the same tasks, but each is a little better at different things.

They really are very different feeling planes, however, at the end of the day the difference in what each excels at more then the other are pretty minimal.  Both do well at the same tasks, but each is a little better at different things.

That is what I meant to say :) 

Bottom line, I'm a Lie-Nielsen guy. I'll keep buying planes from him/them. I started with that, and it's not going to change unless something drastic occurs. Like a plane that only LV offers that I must have. 

That is what I meant to say :)

Bottom line, I'm a Lie-Nielsen guy. I'll keep buying planes from him/them. I started with that, and it's not going to change unless something drastic occurs. Like a plane that only LV offers that I must have. 

Ah .. Mel, then your preference is not based on reason but emotion! :)

LN make fabulous tools. I probably have a lot more of them than most. About 10 planes in all. They are modelled on the classics, with upgraded materials and superb attention to details. Quality-wise, the LN and the LV are on a par. No difference at all. However, when it comes to design, LV are streets ahead. The LA Jack from LV is more technically advanced than the LN #62. The LV has set screws for the blade - which are alone worth the entry fee. The blade adjuster is a Norris (the LN uses a rudimentary, non-lateral-adjustable mechanism). The slide for the adjustable mouth is just sooooo much easier to use on the LV. And the LV, and only the LV, has a depth stop for the mouth. Not last, and not least, the LV have PM-V11 steel for the blades. It is a much more advanced and better steel than the A2 of LN.

All-in-all, the LV is the superior plane. Hey, don't let all that logic get in the way of emotion - if the LN is what you desire, then get it. As I said before, it is a fine plane. You will be very happy using it. Just do not use it alongside the LV.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1

Ah .. Mel, then your preference is not based on reason but emotion! :)

All-in-all, the LV is the superior plane. Hey, don't let all that logic get in the way of emotion - if the LN is what you desire, then get it. As I said before, it is a fine plane. You will be very happy using it. Just do not use it alongside the LV.

Regards from Perth

Derek

All in all I would consider myself to be rather logical. I really don't know what it is about the LV planes. Yes, they are nice. If I started with them instead of the LN who knows what I'd be using right now. :) I am more of a symmetry kind a guy. I like things to match. I am not usually overly loyal for the sake of loyalty, just my OCD. My pedalboard for guitar and bass has pedals from the same maker. Yep, they're nice, and I'm sure other makers have pedals that do nice things too :) 

I tend to prefer LN bench and BU planes, but I generally like the Veritas joinery planes better than the LN joinery planes.  The differences between them are pretty insignificant and not really worth debating IMO.  They're both quality companies and quality tools, and any trouble using them is an indication of a skill deficit rather than a flawed tool.

• Like 2