LA jack benefits

Tony Wilkins

I tend to prefer LN bench and BU planes, but I generally like the Veritas joinery planes better than the LN joinery planes. The differences between them are pretty insignificant and not really worth debating IMO. They're both quality companies and quality tools, and any trouble using them is an indication of a skill deficit rather than a flawed tool.

I wish there was a love this button! This is it!

Can't go wrong with either company. Everyone has a preference. :)

The lateral set screws have always been a great innovation even if it is a why-didn't-i-think-of-that kind of thing.  Veritas ("LV") handles have always been larger because Rob Lee had this cool idea of making them larger so you could shape them.  Dunno of anybody who does that, but that's always been the reason they are larger.  Personally, I like the larger handles.  I'd love to switch some blades over to PM-V11 steel to try it out.  With respect to other planes, there's no comparison between the companys' medium shoulder planes.

So it may mess with your strong emotional attachment to LN, but if heavy is wrong for a shooter, why is the LN iron miter 5.4 lbs? (hair less than the Veritas LA Jack)  It can't be wrong, it's LN, right? :)  I logically considered both at first and bought some of both.  I've since sold off all but one LN and added more Veritas and Bridge City.  Only the iron miter left.

The lateral adjustment just isn't necessary. I'm sure it's nice. But, not needed. I just learned to set the blade the ol' fashioned way! Works everytime, and I don't have a screw to lose. 

And I agree, there is no comparison with the medium shoulder planes. I use the LN. :) 

I need to learn to stop asking these comparison questions. It's like the great taste - less filling question. There's a valid comparison or two and then peoples love for their tool brand takes over.

So far I've found the LV more better for me but I want to find an LN that I really like too.

Questions are great. Some result in answers, others result in opinions.

Which is better, always results in opinions. Derek is great at outlining why he likes one over the other. I love his reviews. Having said that, I don't have to take his opinion as fact. His criteria (for instance) may be different than mine.

:)