Spanish Cedar strong smelling

Carl Olsen

My dealer got a shipment in a few months ago, and for about three or four weeks that's all you could smell...the stuff just hit you in the face.  Now it's back to normal-smelling woodiness.  If it really bothers you that much you could hit it with some shellac.  I hear bug spit and cigars go well together...like a nice cognac.

I like the smell but it does dissipate as the board oxidizes . It you put the planks outside on sawhorses in the sun I bet it would be the quickest way to get it down to a level you can stand. The fresh sawdust is also going to have the full odor so sweep, vacuum, etc.

You will also notice that when you make fresh sawdust, you will actually taste the Spanish Cedar.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You may have gotten some especially resinour Cedar but it will diminish over time.  Very few dealers have the kilns dialed in specifically to dry Spanish Cedar.  In order to set the sap properly and prevent weeping it needs to be dried hotter than other species.  Of course in order to do this properly you need to take more time to very slowly raise the temperature to acceptable levels and then even more slowly drop the temperature off that peak.  Some kilns don't get hot enough, but mostly it is a matter of the lumber yard not want to wait the extra time, nor dedicated the entire kiln to a single species especially when volumes of Spanish Cedar on hand rarely will fill a kiln. 

If the smell is really bad, mill up some Alaskan Yellow Cedar and it will overpower the Spanish tenfold. ;)

I have some Cedrela Odorata (AKA Spanish Cedar - confusing as it is neither Spanish nor Cedar) in my shop waiting to be milled for a guitar I have in mind. When it arrived a couple of years back even in rough sawn form it was pleasantly pungent (to me at least) but the odour diminished after a month or so. I keep going back to it and scratching it with my thumbnail just to make sure the smell is still there.