Help with my first original design

CJC5151

hey guys

Im looking for design advice. I made a blanket chest. Raised panels out of leopard wood, rails and styles out of walnut and a beauliful peice of crotch walnut bookmatched for the top. Over all in very happy with it and so is my sister-in-law (wedding present). here is my dilema. I have a little issue with the joinery i used between the sides an the front and back. I used a reinforced miter joint only because I couldnt figure out how to incorperate what i wanted to do. I wanted to use 2"x2" and attach the sides but i was worried how that would look. My though was to have the legs sit proud of the panels by 1/2". what I am having a hard time visualizing is what it will look like , should I eliminate the side styles and just attach the panels to the post or should i make the outside style a little smaller and just attach it to the post, or should i keep all the styles the same and attach it to the post. please help, thanks in advance. Ive added a pic so you can see what im talking about.

post-1984-014323100 1286423298_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice piece. I'd like to see a photo of the top, though. Can't see the crotch in that one.

I think your design idea would look nice. I assume you mean the corner posts would go to the floor becoming the foot very much like the corner pieces now. Yeah, put the groove in those posts where necessary to put the panel. I think it would look funny if you made a narrow stile and attached the leg to it. Just my 2¢

Nice Piece! I agree with Paul, the panle would look best conected directly to the post. However, you never realy know untill you give it a shot. I would probable cut a small stile out (if you have some scrap) and see how it looks.

I am a big fan of consistancy though. Since the front panels connect to the post, then I would connect the sides to the posts as well.

Just my 2.

Jeff

Here's a great chance to see what history can teach you. Go search for similar pieces from different furniture eras. Especially 16th and 17th century chests. What you'll see is a frame and panel front that has the two long rails tenoned into the legs. Same with the sides. They simply proportioned the rail width to allow for the same size stiles. Also playing with graduating widths wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Using the legs as the end stile is a viable option, but its found in more contemporary pieces. It's up to you depending on what you're referencing in your designs.

Both ways are just as strong and just as functional.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your help guys. I just posted more pictures of the chest in a post called leoaprd chest in the critique room. (I just figured out how to edit the pic to get more to fit) Im still not sure what im going to do about the legs, but I have just recieved an order to build another one so ill have to figure it out quickly after the holidays