Intro

Bobwkc

Been a hobbyist woodworker for 20 plus years. Self taught which means more bad habits than good ones. I call Working "sawdust therapy". I have a 12x20 shop. I work and have a family so shop time is precious.

I'm hoping to this forum will help me become a better woodworker, and maybe make a friend or two along the way.

Projects. Five piece bedroom set, two cherry dressers, aquarium cabinet, toys, pens, window seat, lots of scroll saw stuff, humidor from walnut burl, sandbox, outdoor blackboard, indoor chalkboards, wall cabinet, salt and pepper shakers, lazy susans and other turnings.

Latest projects on going, marble machines and a chair. The chair has me stumped !

Bob

post-14807-0-79262100-1385512251_thumb.j.jpg

here is a photo of my prototype and the original chair that is over a hundred years old,  the prototype was a failure but i learned a lot.  The chair is a "youth" chair which means the seat is higher off the floor than an adult chair and is a bit narrower but otherwise is constructed the same as the "adult" version.

I am half way through my second prototype using alder as the wood the first was re used pine.

One of the issues i have not found a cure for with is the back splat.  it is curved front and back and if i had a band saw with a 14 inch or better throat i could cut the curves on both sides that way  how ever i don't.  Tried a cabinet makers rasp but its not long enough for the front side.  My belt sander seems to be the only way to do this but my first attempt left the surface un even.  So any help would be great.

The original chair had the top rail attached to notches in at the top of the rear legs but really there is not enough wood there in my version.

Any way i thought you folks might be interested and have a hint or two.

Bob

Welcome aboard, Bob.  You'll make plenty of friends here.  If you ever make it to the other side of the state, drop me a line.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/block-planes/convex-sole-block-plane/

Eric I am a mechanical engineer for Dresse-Rand and am out that way a lot due to the amount of oil and gas stuff out that way  would love to say hello over a cup of coffee