workbench wood

wintersedge

Hey Tom, I have never heard the fruit called a nut. The fruit is fleshy and white ish with a cratered green "husk" and is the size of a grapefruit. The planks themselves are actually quite orangish with great streaks of yellow. I started my own saplings from fruits two years ago.

Have they grown enough for you determine gender?  I've been wanting to start a seed plot for them, but being dioecious I was wondering if anyone had a way to tell the male and females apart in nursery...  I'd hate to have the same mess as with ginkos, where you have to wait almost 5 years before they start fruiting to determine the gender of the tree...

This is a first venture for me. My wife grabbed some fruit and in my old basement it got flooded a time or two and sprouts developed. I was not really planning to grow the trees at first. I planted the sprouts and wound up with two viable saplings that just saw their second summer. I'll try to see what I can find out when they leaf this year.