workbench wood

wintersedge

I had a similar question on the wood for a bench.  In my area I don't have much maple available to get sawed but one hard close grained wood I do have plenty of access to is bodark or osage orange which ever you call it.  I have had some sawed before and used for small projects the stuff is hard and when done feels like something made out of lead.  The color is not light but not dark, kind of middle of the road.  I was curious if anyone had any thoughts in using it as a bench?

I had a similar question on the wood for a bench.  In my area I don't have much maple available to get sawed but one hard close grained wood I do have plenty of access to is bodark or osage orange which ever you call it.  I have had some sawed before and used for small projects the stuff is hard and when done feels like something made out of lead.  The color is not light but not dark, kind of middle of the road.  I was curious if anyone had any thoughts in using it as a bench?

If you can get Osage Orange for cheap, I think that would be one impressive bench.  The stuff is super-heavy, which means you'd get about zero movement when planing vigorously...it would have a TON of mass, probably almost literally. :)   On the other hand, it's also super-hard which means you'll get more dented workpieces...if you subscribe to that theory.  I think an Osage Orange bench would be killer.  I have trouble finding it here in MO, which is weird because it grows in abundance in IL and IN.

We tend to talk like work benches of all one species but a quick spin through the photo gallery shows a number of mixed benches. If you have Osage, use all you can. If you split Roubo, line your split. Build your under carriage, stretchers even a deadman with Osage. Line your vise with something softer. Maybe invest in a softer top but use all you feel comfortable using of what is readily available.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies I had been looking at purchasing maple but I do have an abundance of osage orange around here and every rancher is more than glad to have someone cut them out.  I may have to pay the sawmill a little extra for blades which isn't a problem.  I kind of figured with its density once the thing is set in the shop no amount of force i can generate would move it.  I hadn't thought about lining the vise with something else that would be a good idea.

Osage Orange is called "monkey ball" because the "nut" it produces was sometimes called a "monkey ball".  It's also called Osage "Orange" because that nut is about the same size, color, and texture (although rougher) than the kind of orange you eat.

I'm having some vise screws and nuts machined out of Boxwood after Christmas.

They are all over here and an extended Google search found some orange ones. I have an old friend who makes traditional longbows with the wood and white tail hide.

I think that's actually the most famous use for Osage Orange.  Apparently it makes great longbows.

==> My Roubo is made of Walnut, Cherry and Ebony

The shelves are Gaboon Ebony? I've never seen GE used for shelving...  That's a new one :)

I thought the slabs and the base were ebony, cherry end cap and chop, walnut dogs.

Seriously, though...a guy came into the lumberyard once and we got to talking.  He said he built a bench 100% out of purpleheart.  All I said was, "Oh, that's cool."  But I really felt like slapping him.

In honor of Dr. Fechner, my old Silviculture professor, I suggest you refer to it as Maclura pomifera and be correct wherever you are! By the way, the hedge apples are toxic and considered a "natural" roach deterent. I'm not sure it really works.

Baron, I think professor would be really proud if you suggested we all call them Monkey Balls :-P

Thanks for all the discussion.  Here most call it bowdark I guess in reference to its use in bows.  I will have it milled and air dry it.  I am about a 2 years out from needing it.  I will build my shop sometime next year and I currently have taken over my dads shop which he does not wood work.  I think if i brought one more thing in there he doesn't have a use for I might get evicted plus I don't think I will want to move it around much once its built.  On the same subject I have looked at lots of photos and I like the spit top but I also like the version with cabinets underneath was thinking about incorporating the two.  The split top looks very useful but I like things organized so the cabinets underneath looks like a good use of space.