What Does Your Bench Plane Stable Look Like?

brooklyngohardwood

Mel, I see a router plane in your collection. I just finished Marc's new book, "Hybrid Woodworking" and the router plane was included in his "Must Have Tool" chapter. How often do you and others use this plane? I'm also considering getting a large shoulder plane. I can see right now that Marc's book is going to cost me big time!

I don't own a router plane, yet. Nor do I cut dados and whatnot by hand like Mel. However, there are plenty of situations where a router plan would come in handy in a power tool collection.

Just out of curiosity, why do you cut the dadoes by hand? And when you "saw the lines to depth", what do you use to saw them.

I cut them by hand because I am stubborn :) Honestly, I love seeing the chips fly across my bench as I take a cut with the router plane. I use a LN carcass saw for the cuts.

Looks like Veritas & LN are pretty much the same price and there are several clean Stanley 71 planes on e-bay. I think I'm going to take my Christmas money and go for one. Thanks guys.

I like the LN version, other guys like the Veritas. I think either way you'll be happy. 

Great Thread. I guess it was supposed to be only bench planes but Im going to go with the flow and share all of mine.

I dont own any high end new planes, and I cant imagine getting any soon, no money.

I started with a groz (dont hate me) #4 (its sloppy and doesnt adjust like other no 4 but its flat and holds a blade.)

a Taiwan made no 7 (from Grizzly.com)

Ive got a pr-eww2 Stanley #5 & #4 (I have two blades for the the 5 so it can be my foreplane too.)

A record 405, and a Stanley 55 (the 55 is more of a pet project than a working too at this point- but my 405 is awesome)

Ive got a stanley 71 router plane

A new 78 and an old 92 

a 60 1/2 low angle block

2 sets of hollows and rounds

A moving filister from Scotland 

and a few random moulding planes

• Like 1

So, I went to a LN hand tool event today and I think I fell out of love with vintage tools. :) I now get what all the fuss is about.

In my quest to choose a premium smoothing plane I spent some time smoothing cherry with the bronze #3 & #4 as well as the iron #4 1/2 — all with 50° frogs. The tote on the #4 1/2 seemed bigger and feels more comfortable in my hand and the heft of the thing was just amazing, not to mention the gossamer shavings.

I realize now that the totes are shaped differently on my vintage Stanley 6 & 7 planes than on my #4. They are definitely a little thicker and the curve is different—I think this is why I find my 6 & 7 more comfortable. I don't really know why they'd make the tote on the 4 smaller—even though the plane is smaller by hand is not. It seems like LN follows Stanley's lead on tote size.

Anyway, I'm going to be dreaming about the LN 4 1/2 for a while. Also, in the running is the LV BUS, which is about the same size, has same 50° angle, but is over half a pound lighter. I also just really like the look of the classic bailey design, although it's hard to justify the extra $86 on that alone. I'm still waiting for delivery of my LV low-angle jack to compare the comfort of their tote.

Chris, it was really nice to meet you today, and thanks for turning my attention to those rasps. I picked up 2! Tonight I will also be dreaming about more lie nielsen planes as well.

Yes, great meeting you too Freddie! The Gramercy rasps seem really nice so far and are a bit cheeper than the Auriou rasps. I was pretty proud of myself for getting out there without buying anything else. :)

I was also glad I got to compare Gramercy saws to Lie Nielsen, the differences were pretty great, especially on the dovetail. I think I preferred the lightness of the Gramercy better than the heaviness of the LN, but the LN handle seemed to fit my hand better. It made me think I should just stick with the LV saws until I get more experience under my belt (I have a LV crosscut on order).