What Does Your Bench Plane Stable Look Like?

brooklyngohardwood

There are a lot of threads on buying your first bench planes and I think I've read them all. I have the basics down—I understand the Stanley numbering system, the difference between bevel-up/bevel-down, etc.

I have all the basic planes I need (#4 for smoothing, #6 for rough work, #7 for jointing) but I'm starting to think about filling out my collection. I'm curious about what planes you use in your routine and which are "nice to haves"—that make your life easier, even if you don't strictly need them to get started.

I've seen a lot of people's collections and I've noticed many have multiple #4s, #5s, etc. If you have a lot of bench planes what do you use them for? Or if you don't are there ones you wish you had or is it better to keep it simple? 

To start things off this is what I'm thinking now for my dream collection. I'd love to hear your opinions.

• #4 smoother set to medium cut for general planing and rough smoothing (already own)
  • #4 smoother set superfine, probably a LN (dream plane)
  • LV Bevel-Up Smoother for tricky grain or maybe LN #4 with 50° frog?
  • #3 smoother for tricky small areas? or maybe LV Small Low Angle Smoother with high-angle blade to cover the small plane and low-angle categories?
  • Wooden jack with heavy camber and very-deep cut for rough stock removal (just bought on eBay, haven't received yet)
  • #5 with heavy camber and medium-deep cut for less-heavy stock removal
  • LV Low Angle Jack for shooting end grain (thinking about ordering this one next)
  • #6 with some camber for smaller jointing and flattening/smoothing larger panels (already own—Chris Schwarz talks about using a 5 1/2 for smoothing large panels, maybe I could do this with my 6?)
  • #7 with thin cut and some camber for fine jointing (already own)
  • #7 with deeper cut for rougher jointing tasks (already own, but need to fix up to make usable)
  • #8 for really big work?

(For simplicity sake I'm not thinking about block planes or joinery planes but feel free to add if you wish.)

So far i have 

Veritas BU Jointer

Woodriver Jack

Wooden smoother

Wooden Badger Plane

Stanley/Record hybrid turned into a scrub

Wooden Plow plane

Stanley router plane

Stanley sweet heart block plane

Im going to convert the woodriver into a fore plane and eventually invest in a verities BU smoother and jack.

The only other things i would add would be a dadoe plane and a moving filiister as i am crap at cutting dadoes and rabbets with a chisel.

• Like 1

I want to add a 5 1/2 to my collection. I own a ln 62 and to be honest im not a fan of the lack of heft. I know it gets a lot of praise here on the forum, and that being said ill never get rid of it since i like the versatility of high angle work and shooting purposes. I love love my no8 for jointing. Once you send it across a board it stops for nothing, all aboard! I want to add a no7 with middle pitch as well. I wouldnt go low angle seeing that i have no use for a plane that size with low angle capabilities. The no7 and 5 1/2 would have an interchangable 55 deg frog then for high angle work. I wouldnt mind having the la smoother as well.

• Like 1

Hmmm lets see I have..

Vintage include

- Miller Falls No 8 (same size as No 3)

- Miller Falls No. 9 (same size as 4)

- Stanley No. 4

- Stanley 5 1/4

- Stanley 5

- A couple jack plane size transnationals

- Miller Falls No 14 (same size as 5)

- Miller Falls 15 (same size as 5 1/2)

- Stanley No 7

- Sargent VBM 424 (same as 8)

Newly bought include:

- LV little victor

- LV convex sole squirrel tail plane

- LV Low angle block

- LV Small BU smoother

- LV Low Angle Jack

- LV Skew Rabbet

- LV small plow (and attatchments)

- LV Large Router plane

- LV Med Shoulder plane

- Woodriver No. 6

..maybe forgetting something, but I think that covers it.

6's are nice to have, as are small smoothers (love the LV SBUS), as is having multiple jack and trying planes (my transitional, 5 1/4, No 14, 15, and 6 all have different amounts of camber) but there is really no NEED for those or a No. 8 (I don't like 8s, and am actually trying to sell my Sargent currently) at this point given what you have.  I would say add eithera shooting plane (Miter, La Jack, whatever) or start adding joinery planes.  I'm a big fan of the router plane for a first joinery plane. It can assist in a lot of power tool work and also help you get started with hand cut joinery if that's of interest.  A shoulder plane is also nice to have for working rabbets and such (though I don't use them on tenon shoulders though).  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone who contributed so far!

I definitely think a LA Jack will be my next purchase. I should add that I already own a #220 block, Record #043 small plow, a #78 rabbet, and a #71 router. My #71 is a really old Stanley pre-depth adjuster knob so I'll probably upgrade to a LV large router at some point, but I'm currently thinking my next joinery plane will be a LV Skew Rabbet Block, since that would give me a nicer block plane + a rabbeting plane to clean up joints.

ChrisG: I see you have multiple planes in the 4 to 5 1/2 range. Do you have them set up for specialized tasks or it is more about just having backups?

Mr Griggs, that is not a collection of planes, it's a tool dealership!

Chris J, in my day job tool box I have a slightly rustly Stanley #4 and a Stanley #78 Rebate plane, nothing else.

In my hobby set I have (prices are excluding postage)

A Record 102 Block Plane bought second hand for £7.00 and refurbed (hardly use it) 

post-11619-0-77426500-1388508477_thumb.j

#4 Record with Stay Set Cap Iron bought second hand for £15.00 and refurbed

post-11619-0-96929600-1388508370_thumb.j

A real Jack Plane :-), (for rapid stock removal, not a fancy #5 size item used as a panel plane), bought for £1.00

post-11619-0-58552300-1388508756_thumb.j

Trying plane, already had vintage #8 with a bent sole, bought a Record #7 with the same problem and I could not face flattening so much metal or spending out on a better product. A wooden plane from the storage area at work saved the day, the sole was trued in moments and it was ready to go. Having a longish plane really is a boon, sounds like you are well placed with with the #4, #6 & #7, a real backbone!

post-11619-0-71654300-1388512385_thumb.j

A record 405 currently takes care of grooving & rebating althoug I'm going to give some wooden versions a go and see how I feel about them.

post-11619-0-62196600-1388512555_thumb.j

I also have a badger plane, a couple of coffin smoothers, wooden rebate planes a few moulding planes and a Record router plane. I'm due to list some surplus stuff on ebay and some of them will be planes I don't use a great deal, surprisingly a #5 & a #6 will be on their way.

Here we go.  From left to right.

Craftsman fore plane. 

Homemade plane "the favorite"

Stanlely Bedrock #5

Shopfox small router plane

Stanely block plane

Stanley Two-Tone #4

Homemade

Homemade

Stanley Spokeshave

Not pictured: Stanley #78, "Veritable Cormier" t&g plane from the 1750-1780's ish.

on53Wr1.jpg

I've actually just recently thinned my collection.
Please please don't hate me for saying this, but I prefer LV planes to LN planes.
I find myself reaching for my LV's all the time and find myself using my LV's for great looking backgrounds in my photos.

Anyway, here's what I use.

1 - POS Stanley block plane - not a sweet classic or anything, I'm talking about a 7 dollar jobber from a big box store. It is useful for doing things you wouldn't do with planes you like.

2 - A nicer Stanley block

3 - LV LA block

4 - LV medium shoulder plane (Clearly superior to the LN medium shoulder plane ... okay that's just my opinion.)

5 - LV #7

6 - LV 4-1/2 (This bad boy is my go to plane. I used to have an LN #4 as well and would use them for different tasks, but as time went by I found I preferred just readjusting my LV 4-1/2 rather than grabbing my LN.)

7 - A small collection of specialty planes - round overs and plows etc. Nothing that impressive.

Oh, yeah Mel likes photos so here's my favorite plane in living color:

post-2771-0-25356700-1388518826_thumb.jp

Bench planes-I use all of them:

2 no.3s with different cambers  Stanley

no. 4  takes .002"   Stanley

4-1/2 takes less than .001  Record like new

5 takes what a Jack is meant for-  Record bought new in the '70s

2-no. 6s with different cambers  Stanleys almost perfect Japanning used for flattening before 7

7 takes about a .001  NOS Record still in the box-mainly for flattening faces

8 is the only one with a straight honed blade-for edges mostly only  Stanley top shape

wooden  scrub for cleaning boards and beams-well beat up by us

Primus smoother for when I like using it

Primus Jointer almost never gets used

I didn't include blocks or other planes since the topic was bench planes