two new toys for me!

calblacksmith

I can't bare this, two Veritas hand planes, practically new, PMV11 blades. $300, or €220 in my money, or £183 in Graham's. Good job you couldn't put photographs on the message, that would have been too much. As they say, you suck! :D

So, do they work?  :ph34r:  B) Some defect perhaps - still got oil on it, or was the cardboard box missing? Lost the instructions? Anything?  :rolleyes:

John

• Like 1

Sorry John, If it makes you feel better, there were no boxes or paperwork, there is also a finger print on the sole of the Jack too but otherwise, they are pretty much "as new"

Here are the pics from the on line add, yes they look like this, there are no chips in the irons, they take clean and even cuts, I was able to shave 0.001" shavings from a common, pine 2 x 4, as the planes were  straight from the seller with nothing more than adjusting the iron to take that shaving. I was able to go finer but that was the smallest full width, complete shaving, thinner and there were holes in the shaving.

The add was 5 days old when I saw it and called on the add. The seller said he had a little interest in the jack, one potential buyer was going to drive about 100 miles to make the purchase but because I was interested in both, I had first chance at the pair, the seller even met me half way so the drive was only about 35 miles. Like I said in the first post, I had intended to try to get them for less money but I could not bring myself to try when I saw them, he was loosing enough as it was :D

Sometimes we do fall into something good!

post-14128-0-16809600-1391180943_thumb.j

post-14128-0-04552700-1391180961_thumb.j

post-14128-0-06365800-1391180968_thumb.j

Sorry John, If it makes you feel better, there were no boxes or paperwork, there is also a finger print on the sole of the Jack too but otherwise, they are pretty much "as new"

Sometimes we do fall into something good!

Ahah! A fingerprint on the sole! I knew it couldn't be a real bargain.

If you haven't already make sure you throw that LA Jack onto a shooting board.  It's a heck of a comfortable plane to shoot with.

For 'throw' read 'place gently'...

Of course we won't believe any of it 'till we see the shavings! Good catch - now make them sing!

John

• 2 weeks later...

OK if it is pics you want, I will see what I can do, and, AHEM, a pic of the "defect" (finger print) too :D

I don't have a shooting board yet though I have plans to make one. I also have a Stanley 3 and 4. I upgraded the 4 to the IBC iron and cap and had to open the mouth a wee little bit, the 3 is just cleaned up stock, but those are old news VS the new "toys"

• 3 weeks later...

I have been playing with them for a little while now and I must say, I love them!

I went to the Lee Valley sight and made a discovery that many here probably knew anyway, that is that both of them use the same size irons. The Jack comes with the 25 deg iron and the LA smoother comes with the 38 deg iron. I just ordered the 50 deg iron and the toothed iron so now I can use any "factory angle" in either plane!

Man you gotta love it when a plan (even an accidental one) comes together! :D