Mortising options

Godet

After sweating out making mortises with my router table, I'm considering investing in a benchtop mortiser, or an attachment for my drill press. Any recommendations on either of these options? I have a very small shop so the drill press attachment is attractive. However, my time is also limited and I'd like to avoid a long set-up...besides, the benchtop models are pretty small and I think I could store it in my shop. Price range no more than $250

I looked into drill press attachments a while ago. The general consensus is that they do an "ok" job but never as clean or as good as a dedicated mortiser. Of greater concern is that if you do enough mortises you will probably break your drill press since they are not designed for the types of stress they tend to be subjected to when doing mortises. If you can afford 250 then a benchtop mortiser is within your range. They are all pretty similar to each other so just buy the one that is cheapest.

Also buy a sharpener for the mortise bits (looks like a cone). That will probably be the biggest determining factor in how well your mortiser performs.

Definitely agree that a drill press isn't a mortiser even if the articulation is the same. The plunge control isn't made for putting your weight into.

Powermatic/Jet/WHM is having their drilling and mortising sale right now.

See this page for the current promos

You can see that you could get a benchtop Powermatic mortiser for $350, which admittedly is $100 over your limit. However the last entry is for a Jet mortiser that is $250. Either of these would smoke a drill press. True, you have to store it, but the arm comes off easily then you have the equivalent of a fire hydrant to hide in a corner (far from a dog).

I had the Delta drill press attachement and it never worked well. I went with a HF bench top mortiser and have been very happy with it, never had any regrets about going with a name brand since it is not used everyday. I have built a arts and crafts loft bed with it in oak with 100 mortises and a few tables.

thanks for the advice guys...I appreciate it. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Powermatic--I have some amazon points from my credit card to burn anyway. I make a lot of tables and was despite my love of the mission style, was intimidated to make all of those mortises...no more!

So did you get the PM Mortiser? Looks like this post was from a while ago. I bought the PM mortiser after hearing quite a few folk complain of the fence/hold downs on machines a notch cheaper. I am pleased with the PM Mortiser, but frankly it sits in the back of the garage. Using router with edge guide for most mortises these days. Lots of flexibility and smoother walls, though you either have to square the ends, or round over the tenons. I go whichever route I'm in the mood for, except for through tenons, when I'll decide based upon the look I'm after. I'd be interested to hear your experience and/or decision.

Tom--I bought the PM mortiser, but it hasn't arrived yet. I make a lot of mortises--sometimes on pretty narrow stock...I don't have a plunge router and had been using my router table, which means you can't actually see your layout lines. I would cut them small and then finish the job with a chisel, but was never really happy with the results. I have some ideas for a shaker style coffee table that will give this new machine a real workout.

Of course, this is all in the concept stage, but I think it will get plenty of use.

Vic, I am with you on this one. I am building a lot of doors and gates and will use nothing but floating tenons, for smaller items I like using my Domino. I read somewhere that a floating tenon is a stronger joint than a M&T.

I have the Delta mortiser and really never use it. It sits and collects dust. I'd rather use a router and do floating M&Ts.

I'm a huge fan of the floating tennons. I build lots of Arts & crafts furniture, and floating/loose tennons are just so helpful!

So what do you use to make your mortises? Do you use one of those many routers that you have or do you use the Domino?

I just printed today an article from FWW "Self-Centering Mortising Jig" with rotating circles. This interest is mostly for my doors and gates. The only difference will be that I will consider making this jig for a 12" maximum width board (for the bottom stiles).

I may make a modification to this by making a square base to one of my routers

I don't have it down, but what I have done with it, it slick. I love this thing. Next best thing to a Multi-Router.

So what do you use to make your mortises? Do you use one of those many routers that you have or do you use the Domino?

I have a few routers that I make mortises and tennons with, but the bulk of my M&T joints with floating tennons are done with a shop made slot mortiser - Here's a corny little video overview of it - Only 1 minute long

Sorry - I have no clue how to embed the actual video...

I have a few routers that I make mortises and tennons with, but the bulk of my M&T joints with floating tennons are done with a shop made slot mortiser - Here's a corny little video overview of it - Only 1 minute long

I built Gregory's version and it works very well. I used it to make a boatload of mortises a while back for some dining chairs.

Although I now use the Domino for the majority of my mortises, I still use this when I need a larger mortise.

Joe

post-1181-085810200 1287594528_thumb.jpg

post-1181-015574700 1287594542_thumb.jpg

post-1181-053564100 1287594550_thumb.jpg

post-1181-099509500 1287594560_thumb.jpg

Thanks. That looks like it works pretty well. That may be something that I pick up in the future..

Nice function on that Greg!!

that's a slick jig--thanks for sharing it