Found several little metal slivers in router collet

daviddoria

Hi guys,

I have a PC890 mounted in a router table. This morning I routed a bunch of trays with a bowl and tray bit and they came out great. When I was cleaning up, I took the bit out and noticed about 20 little slivers of metal stuck to the bit and in the collet. They were probably human hair thickness, and up to about 1/4" in length. I thoroughly inspected the collet and the bit, but didn't see any signs of where the metal came from. Has anyone seen anything like this? I am nervous that something here might now be unsafe to use going forward (even though the router worked fine all morning, even presumably after these slivers were "made"?). Anything else I should check to see if I can identify where they came from?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

David

Is the clamping part of you collet (not the nut) made of aluminum? I have seen small slivers like this get gouged out of the aluminum collet when the steel nut was tightened. Might be a bit of grit uder the cone-shaped end of the nut. Look for scratches around the end of the collet.

He who dies with the most tools ... leaves a great estate sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response guys. 

@wtnhighlander - I'm not sure how to tell if it is aluminum, but it is metal :)

@Hybrid-woodworker - I'm not exactly sure what the reducing ring is, but every part of this collet seems to be metal (again, not sure how to tell if it is aluminum or not?)

@TripleH - This was the bit I was using:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2008247/21816/CMT-85100211B-Bowl-And-Tray-Router-Bit-with-Top-Bearing-14SH-14R-34D-58CL.aspx?keyword=&refcode=10INGOPB&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CL_joOKll70CFYc7Ogod7XUAew

I'd assume since it has cutting blades that the shaft is not carbitde?

In any of these cases, is it reasonable to assume that the collet is still safe to use? As long as I turn it on for a minute and see that the bit is not slipping do I assume it is still holding tightly enough?

Thanks,

David

(Sorry if my descriptions are a bit vague, but I tried to take some pictures but they didn't seem to show anything that I thought would be useful!).

The reducing ring is the plate that the router bit sticks up through on the table. They are normally interchangeable so you can get zero clearance. Sometimes that plates are not made correctly and are off center. Your bit could have shaved a few slivers off this plate. Look at the hole in the plate and see what it looks like.

Bruce

• Like 1

@Hybrid-woodworker - ah, no, mine is plastic.

@wtnhighlander - yep, that is a good test. Too bad I have lost all of the little shaving already! They seemed to kind of stick to the collet (if the collet is aluminum I guess it wasn't magnetic attraction), so I'm not sure what to think about them. I guess if I see them again I'll try to stick them to a magnet and report back.

No one seems to have said anything to the effect of "STOP USING IT!!" so I'm assuming these are harmless. Please let me know if that is not a good assumption :)

Thanks,

David

Sometimes, those little shavings can be affected by static electricity over magnetism.  If you have them again, trap them inside plastic wrap or a plastic resealable bag.  Then test with a magnet.  If the bag pulls towards the magnet, its not aluminium.  (This is why I suggest the plastic wrap... some plastic bags may be too thick/heavy for the magnetic effect to be visible.)

But on the chance that you've got a lot of shavings, I'd recommend caution at the least, and replacement as soon as feasible.  (Cost, time, space, etc all play a factor here.  The best advice is common sense.)