Table saw blades

TomP

I hope this is the right place to ask. I am on my 3rd cutting board. The problem I still have is the Purple Heart and maple are getting burnt marks on them when I make the cuts. I have tried different blades with no success. Any suggestions or what do you use.

Fewer teeth means less burning and more tearout.  Quality makes a difference when it comes to blades.  Also power...if you have an underpowered saw, you might want to try a thin kerf blade.

When making end grain cutting boards with a checkerboard pattern, you find the need to both rip and crosscut, so a combination blade would probably suit you best if you're lazy.  If you're not lazy, a dedicated rip and a dedicated crosscut blade will give you the best results.

Also, hard maple and purpleheart are both very dense woods, and the purpleheart is oily to make things worse.  A little bit of burning is hard to avoid entirely.  I just made a few myself with the same woods...with a 3HP cabinet saw, and a sharp Forrest combo blade.  I had a little burning.  That's what drum sanders are for. :)

The main benefit of the Diablo is the price... you can get three for the same price as a Forrest.  (at least the last time I looked.)  Tradeoff was that the quality required you to go through three in the same time that it would take you to wear out one Forrest.  

So, you gets what you pays for.  And there are some days when I'm just fine with that.  Glad to hear you've overcome a (hopefully) minor issue.  

The main benefit of the Diablo is the price... you can get three for the same price as a Forrest.  (at least the last time I looked.)  Tradeoff was that the quality required you to go through three in the same time that it would take you to wear out one Forrest.  

So, you gets what you pays for.  And there are some days when I'm just fine with that.  Glad to hear you've overcome a (hopefully) minor issue.  

I have to ask though, with regular shop use as a hobbiest (couple nights a week of cutting), how long might a Diablo last compared to the Forrest? I know this question is hard to ask, but maybe throw some numbers out there.

I don't have hard numbers for you.... but I don't own a Forrest blade yet.  I'm still using the Diablo I purchased a few years ago.  I also don't have a table saw, so I haven't felt the need to upgrade to one yet.  (My primary power saw is a circular saw, and I swap out between the 24 tooth and the 40 tooth probably every other project.  I've been working with a lot of plywood lately, so I've been leaning on the larger tooth count more.)

I have to ask though, with regular shop use as a hobbiest (couple nights a week of cutting), how long might a Diablo last compared to the Forrest? I know this question is hard to ask, but maybe throw some numbers out there.

I have 2 diablo blades, and they last a while between sharpenings.  I have used them for about a year or so, and just had them sharpened.  I have the combo blade in the TS and the general purpose in the mitre saw.  Both are great performers, as long as you use zero clearance inserts.

There's really too many variables in play to say with any accuracy.....initial sharpness, # of teeth, tooth geometry, cleanliness, moisture content, density, technique, saw alignment, etc., are all factors.  Both have similar quality carbide.  The Forrest has more of it, but that only means more sharpenings, not longer edge life.